Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

There is a lot of demolition that need to happen before Nexus can start building. So guess need to see something going on soon if want to meet 2021 target.

Yeah, we need to start a Smokey vs Smoky scoreboard somewhere.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s the signs outside the construction fencing of the actual project that say Smoky

1 Like

@dtraleigh said when he saw it on a sign vs marketing materials he would agree. Are we there yet? @GucciLittlePig where is this fence.

2 Likes

OK yeah sure fine. :wink:

Never forget!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Based on last two pic, guess will just have to wait until actual signs go up on buildings. Um or is phase 1 'SMOKY" and phase 2 ā€œSMOKEYā€ :grin:

This looks like proof to me! And how many times have I walked or rolled past this and didnā€™t notice?? :man_facepalming:t3: Sorry, maybe we need to move these over to the SMOKY HOLLOW thread, @dtraleigh. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

You started it!!! :crazy_face:

Back on topicā€¦

2 Likes

SR-12-19 Site Review

First, thing that jumps out at me is the identification of the phases and phase 1 is more of the middle of the block while phase 2 would be Martin/McDowell-facing parts of the block. I also love the walk path that will separate the phases and hope we can somehow get this connecting over to Fayetteville as mentioned in this thread a few times.

Building elevation from East:

Detail of top elevation:

Underground parking entrances would be from Martin and Hargett with an above ground entrance off Salisbury.

Very exciting to see this level of detail even if it isnā€™t new!

5 Likes

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but does that indicate the top will max at 600 ft???

Yes 600 feetā€¦ but above Sea level :slight_smile:
250 feet from street as thatā€™s the maximum under current zoning for the 20 story

1 Like

I think that 600ft is above sea level for some reason. Shows street level floor at 325 so would be 275 building height with crown.

2 Likes

Ahhh the bastards. If it ends up 275 with crown, that at least gets us SOME variation in heights with all these 250footers

2 Likes

Looks like the Board of Adjustment is set to approve some minor variances in the parking, driveways, sidewalks, loading docks, and cross-access ways?? Long document and looks kinda boring. Hopefully a sign the project is moving forward though.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not holding my breath but will be pleasantly surprised if this gets kicked off!

2 Likes

From the Leasing companyā€™s websiteā€¦ wasnā€™t aware of the all-cash purchase and self-financed constructionā€¦
"STRONG OWNER & DEVELOPER REPUTATION
Acquisition Group is a very well-respected and established owner (Two Hannover Square ā€“ 437,000 SF) in Downtown Raleigh. It is a highly capitalized organization and purchased the 3.3-acre Nexus site in 2018 in an all-cash transaction. Acquisition Group plans to construct Nexus without bank financing and therefore delivery of the project is not contingent upon lender approval. East West Partners is the developer based in Chapel Hill, NC, and brings an impressive depth of experience and strong execution that will deliver excellence at Nexus."

9 Likes

Hmm, also page 3 of the leasing brochure has a grocery on the ground floor. Big if true.

8 Likes

Then maybe they should go ahead and start building it instead of waiting for some tenant who wants a huge building in 5 years.

2 Likes

And some massing showing all phases I hadnā€™t seen beforeā€¦

19 Likes