Fortune 500 HQ incoming

That’s what I’m hoping. It seems like they would need a significant more amount of space then anything that’s available in any one building downtown currently. Would be amazing to see them anchor the Edison. But that’s probably very wishful thinking at this point.

1 Like

Honeywell going to Charlotte:

Fortune 100 company planning to move headquarters to Charlotte, sources say
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article222371650.html

1 Like

Dang was hoping Raleigh would win that too. I really wish Apple would just hurry up and announce.

2 Likes

This company is a dinosaur. Their average salaries are lower than AAP. They are also splitting apart and getting smaller. They are not a technology company but more of a GE-like company…and we know how well they are doing these days. Honeywell reported a net loss of $2Billion recently.

1 Like

Raleigh would’ve been better but I can’t complain about more HQs in NC as a whole.

1 Like

TBJ is alluding to what I’ve been concerned about all along with respect to Apple…our legislature f’ing it up with some nonsense right-wing social legislation (ie: HB2 or the new 'voter id bill) There is less than .3% evidence of voter fraud yet our legislature deems it critical enough for a ‘constitutional amendment’…sounds a lot like HB2. A ‘solution’ where there was no problem…

4 Likes

Not opposing or favoring one party or another, but in regards to Apple.
Their second largest campus is located in Texas, where a similar ID law was passed in 2011.
Also the citizens voted to allow the voter ID amendment, not “some nonsense right-wing social legislation”.

4 Likes

They voted for a concept…which is the problem. The NC legislature (unlike Texas) has tried voter ID legislation twice and twice have been ruled unconstitutional. Do you recall the Court’s “with surgical precision…” statement with respect to NC’s gerrymandering? Further, Texas backed off an idiotic ‘bathroom bill’ after our boneheaded HB2.

I keep hearing comparisons to Austin but we need to look more closely at what occurred in Texas versus North Carolina before simply saying ‘Texas did it…’ It’s a bit shocking to say but North Carolina has looked a lot more conservative than Texas in recent years…“A LOT” more.

1 Like

To be fair… Raleigh/The Triangle is a blue dot in a sea of red. That is just how it is for better or worse.

2 Likes

Let’s stay on topic. I’m having deja vu with these recent posts.

4 Likes

That’s true but unfortunately as we have seen, Companies have balked already at our current legislature and cost Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte significantly. “Hoping” Apple ignores them because Raleigh is an “oasis” is probably wishful thinking. I don’t want that risk…

1 Like

Check today’s N&O if you don’t think our legislatures actions aren’t still haunting us…The simple fact that we had to promise Amazon that HB2 wouldn’t ‘reappear’…like the Boogeyman tells you the huge blackeye and stained reputation they gave North Carolina.

1 Like

Enough already about HB2. Quit ruining a great website. You drone on about the legislature in almost every posting. Wouldn’t you feel more comfortable posting on political sites. Everyone here already knows the state politics.

9 Likes

Thanks Dave… there’s more truth in a comic book than the N&no

Steve

2 Likes

Yup. Let’s bring it back. We can start a politics thread if there needs to be one.

2 Likes

So, looks like I was definitely wrong about the Honeywell HQ. I didn’t think they’d be moving the HQ but that’s what happened. I’m happy for Charlotte and wish them the best.

The AAP announcement is an interesting example of how tech employees impact industries that aren’t traditionally thought of as “tech” companies. Pretty much every company is a tech company now. The Triangle’s workforce is and will continue to be our biggest strength.

4 Likes

Which comes mainly from our university system. It’s probably the biggest draw that we have and can edge us over the competition when in play.

3 Likes

Absolutely. While the big three will always lead, I’d love to see schools like Central, and Meredith grow in national prominence.

6 Likes

Speaking of universities, TBJ has a cover story on an emerging quantum computing cluster at Centennial Campus and Duke. That’s the kind of industry I can definitely get behind!

4 Likes

Another expansion in CLT:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article223248795.html