Future of Glenwood South

I would love to see a Japanese Steak house with some good sake and Japanese whiskey. I know heirloom brewing theoretically does sake but it’s not really the vibe I’m doing for.

Heck, Even ABC only had one good Japanese whiskey and it was locked in a case in the back of the store lol.

We need authentic cultural food and beverages in general. Wang’s kitchen doesn’t count, although my review did get 141k+ views rofl.

2 Likes

Check out some ABCs with better selections. The one in Morrisville and the one in Cameron Village both had maybe 4 or 5 Japanese whiskeys, though I read the country’s whiskey industry is facing shortages and problems, so who knows if the US will keep getting them.

Also, O-ku sushi has a lot more than just sushi, tho it’s not Glenwood South or a steakhouse. It’s really good, tho!

2 Likes

I would love to see an actual Japanese Steakhouse… like Kanki. I think the space at the bottom of Glenwood One would accommodate it and would be great for corporate lunches, dinners, etc.

3 Likes

I thought Kanki was a chain…

1 Like

I think there are only 3 of them.

1 Like

“like Kanki” … a Japanese Steakhouse like Kanki… with the hibachi grills that the chef cooks on in front of you.

2 Likes

I got an idea: a 14 screen multi-level movie theater! :wink:

7 Likes

That would be great. It would be cool if there was a movie theater like that, a bowling alley, and skating rink in the same building. Especially if a 2-3 story bar/arcade building was next to it.

1 Like

with a monumental fountain out front!

4 Likes

Was trying to be realistic… but if we want to joke… I guess bring Musk’s Boring Project to Raleigh and have an underground tunnel straight to the beach.

But then that too… would probably get shut down by the NUMBY’s (Not Under My Back Yard)

1 Like

Wouldn’t it…flood? :joy:

I’d prefer one to the mountains. :raised_hands:t3:

4 Likes

Question for long-time Raleigh residents: how long has Glenwood South been “Glenwood South”, i.e. a bar/restaurant/nightlife area?

I get the feeling it is somewhat recent like 1990’s or 2000’s. Is that accurate? Were there a few projects that made it take off, or has it been a destination for many decades?

It’s really a 2000s and beyond phenomena.
As it gets more residents and retail, I suspect that it will continue to morph as commercial rents get higher. I suspect that it will follow a typical patterns where the nightlife yields to more urban neighborhood use as time goes by.

2 Likes

In the late 90s, it had a couple restaurants (518 and 42nd Street being the big ones) and no name. Hibernian and Sullivan’s brought momentum when they opened around 2000 and the Glenwood South moniker grew a few years after that.

1 Like

A high-end Korean BBQ restaurant would be perfect here.

Not a fan of Seoul 116?

Interesting. That general timeline is about what I thought, but good to get specifics. Thanks.

I sometimes knock DTR for being slightly underdeveloped, but it has obviously improved tremendously in the last 20 years or so, and with all the current and proposed projects appears poised to continue to do so.

2 Likes

When I was a kid in the late ‘80s, my mom took me to some (toy?) store down there in one of those old houses. I got a dinosaur. We never really went back to Glenwood so whenever we drove by it to get downtown, I just knew the area as the dinosaur place. If I’m being honest, I still call it that.

4 Likes

I moved here in 1983 and I believe I got a transmission rebuilt somewhere around Solas/Armadillo Grill.

1 Like

What do you think will be next?? With the AC Marriott coming along soon… I’m curious if we will see more tear downs and 6 story buildings being built… or more corner stones… or nicer bars coming in… or if Crawford or Christensen will make an appearance on Glenwood. I’ve said this before… but Noir would make for a great restaurant location with outdoor seating. Downstairs could be the restaurant and could transition roof to a rooftop bar maybe?

Anyone know what is going in to the building south of the mosquito lounge? Its a gray building that was once said to have a restaurant going in… now seems like there is construction going on.