Future of Glenwood South

I’m sure some who do not wish to see the Glenwood nightlife continue thriving will disagree with this, but it would be nice to have no street parking from 7p to 7a Friday through Sunday and have the street closed to vehicles from Peace to Jones St.

6 Likes

Wow, no sleep for 4 nights is miserable.

Been thinking this for a while. I used to Uber back in the day for a little extra cash (I’ve changed, I swear), and that street gets so dangerous for basically everyone in the later hours on weekends. Cars should not be allowed on that street during those times.

2 Likes

Can you imagine 5,000, mostly ‘under 30-somethings’ wandering up & down Glenwood with open containers going from bar to bar all weekend? I’m sure that would really help with the growing complaints about Gelwood South.

Technically still Glenwood south right?

Mixed-use coming to the corner of Boylan and Hargett.

Oops! haha another thread was started. Bloomsbury 7-Story Mixed Use Residential Tower

12 Likes

It’s on the edge of the warehouse district. If anything, I think that I’d call it that.

2 Likes

Does Smoky Hollow get to carve itself out from Glenwood South?? I say no but perhaps people can work with it better if it does.

10 Likes

It brings to mind that place making isn’t always taste making.
Often times the naming of a place comes from some combination of historical, geographic or developmental influence and it seems that the names of emerging districts that stick often come down to the hive mind…
Kane’s influence in naming convention for districts around here seems reciprocal to its increasing investment in the market, for better or worse. I can see how Smoky Hollow could earn its own moniker assuming its development continues as discussed…
I liked the rendering used for the West End in the article - cleaning up the aspect view of DTR, although I’m not sure I like that name for the district any more than I liked Midtown 5 years ago.
We’ll see if these others ‘stick’ as proposed.

1 Like

In practical terms, Smoky Hollow is a development within Glenwood South. Similarly, North Hills is a development within Midtown, and the Iron District is arguably a development within Midtown East.

11 Likes

Smoky Hollow is too small of an area to be its own district in my opinion. I agree with @John.

15 Likes

Having lived in Smoky Hollow now for a few months, it’s absolutely a (growing) component of the broader Glenwood South district, both geographically and culturally. Not a bad thing, but it’s clear to see.

9 Likes

I was wondering when this would come up.

I think the fact that only the Peace/Smoky Hollow boundary buildings are built makes it harder to see why the distinction could make sense, but since the actual neighborhood was historically Smoky Hollow, why can’t the district retain that. Especially as it continues to grow and even if it comes with an entirely new modern identity.

I think retail tenants of the Smoky Hollow building also want a distinct identity for this area that is contrasting from the party district persona of Glenwood which likely isn’t going anywhere despite the wishes of some.

That said, I realize it’s unlikely people will call it anything other than Glenwood regardless of the district moniker for many years. People will talk about going to the Hollow when they specifically mean that part of Glenwood.

Side but related note: I would dare say the new Seaboard development will have more in common culturally with Smoky Hollow than it will with the N Person St District/Mordecei/Oakwood

4 Likes

I don’t think that anyone is suggesting that Smoky Hollow shouldn’t be used; I just think that many of us just don’t see it elevating to the level of an entirely separate district in its current form.
Now, if the city wanted to carve out a completely new district with that name, then it needs to jump Capital and include the Cotton Mill & the future Zimmer project. It should also include the future Devereux Meadows park, S. West Street to Wade Ave., and probably the corridor around Johnson St. between West and St. Mary’s Streets. This would push Glenwood South, well, further south with it essentially starting at Tucker instead of Peace.

4 Likes

Or maybe Glenwood South is really Smoky Hollow?
:exploding_head:

4 Likes

The argument that some of it is, but the lower end of it is definitely too high in elevation to be considered part of the hollow.
To define a district around the name Smoky Hollow, I’d essentially follow the path of the Pigeon House Branch (even its piped path) from Wade Ave. to St. Mary’s St.

2 Likes

How does the Raleigh Magazine think that Smoky Hollow should extend up Glenwood to Wade??? That’s the 150 year old Glenwood Brooklyn historic district… why suggest it gets renamed for a just built apartment complex… Also with its elevation its certainly not a Hollow.

2 Likes

West Street and especially Capital Blvd are definitely a hollow, following along Pigeon House Branch.

Glenwood-Brooklyn is entirely on the west side of the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks.

1 Like

You can put lipstick on a pig and call it Lucille, but it’s still a pig. I think Smokey Hollow will become it’s own neighborhood. The retail so far looks to be directed to a demographic other than college students. It seems that with the completion of Seaboard, there will be greater synergies with Smokey Hollow.

Well you’ll be pleased to know that the cornerstone on gleenwood is being torn down and replaced with a 10-12 story building but coming from a gen-z guy in my early 20s, I like the vibe of gleenwood south. I mean sure some people misbehave but I mean common that sorta happens when you have a lot of people getting drunk. With that in mind, I’m not opposed to seeing gleenwood south be scaled up. I wouldn’t mind if the bars/clubs there were nicer w higher price points… I will say tho, if the city in Raleigh spends a dime on upgrading the road or sidewalk ima be upset cuz that’s a waste of cash. Both are fine the way they are

2 Likes

Better sidewalks are never a waste of money.

21 Likes