Future of Glenwood South

WOW…love your board!

Thank you! :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Yes, thought about that too. I know they like to catch them by the country club on Glenwood.

1 Like

that was common on clark from decades ago stuff on Hillsborough. but i guess any growing city with a university needs such an area.

crime thread coming soon?

Has this been posted anywhere yet? If I’m reading this correctly The Yard Raleigh, a new development, will be going in directly across the street from the Mellow Mushroom? Looks like it’ll take the place of the auto repair shop at this corner. Looks promising!

22 Likes

Oh that’s cool. I’ve been seeing them hosting single food trucks and DJs on recent weekends - guess that was practice.

1 Like

Now who just recently said City Plat doesn’t develop anything??
:package: :beer: :package: :man_cartwheeling:t3: :package:

2 Likes

Just noticed that another recent development announcement from 2021 is also called ‘The Yard.’ The quasi dog park/cafe development in the Boylan Heights area announced last year also has that name. One of these things obviously will change their name…wonder who’s going to win out?

3 Likes

I love this line:

But no matter what, “more than anything, it’ll be a cool outdoor drinking and hangout space,”

Just wait for the complaints from the neighborhood’s HOA

www.localwiki.org/raleigh/Historic_Glenwood-Brooklyn_Neighborhood

5 Likes

Well, I guess we now know where the Cornerstone crowd is going to go when their operation gets razed for the mixed use development.

7 Likes

I saw that. It caught me off guard because I was wondering if something was ever in that space and I just never paid attention.

from the article: “upfitting the original building into a hip bar and small kitchen, surrounded by upward of 20 shipping containers—some multistories—filled with bars and unique food concepts spread among abundant outdoor space with fire pits, games and the like, and playing host to a rotating lot of food trucks.” Sounds like an outdoor foodhall. VERY COOL!

7 Likes

There will be an update on safety in GS from city staff at Tuesday’s council meeting. link

As Council is aware, with the loosening of restrictions on face masks and indoor gathering as pandemic data continues to improve, there has been an associated upswing in socializing and nightlife participation within and surrounding the Glenwood South corridor. Recent media reports have highlighted certain incidents in particular following festivities associated with the recent St. Patrick’s Day holiday.

During the meeting staff will provide a public safety overview of the Glenwood South corridor.

1 Like

The building next to Mojito lounge seems to be making nice progress recently. They just got new windows and doors installed.

Do we know who’s doing that reno? I remember awhile back someone mentioned that it was going to be a restaurant concept.

1 Like

I had heard it was the people behind Fiction Kitchen, but after all this time, who honestly knows?

Ah that would be awesome. They looked like quality windows/doors, so I got hope that it’s not another one of the cheap bars with cheap fake ivey decor and Walmart furniture :joy:

1 Like

Updated deck going in at the old Still Life location. They’ve also added some black fencing around the parking lot.

12 Likes

This smells of ‘upzoning and chill’ but saw this on the wire. The four parcels of land next to the new Glenwood South Willard hotel (107, 117, 123, & 125 Glenwood) are requesting to go from seven to 20 stories. Right now it’s a couple escape rooms, a two story office, and a print shop? I feel in the next couple of years, especially as Glenwood South densifies and grows upward, this won’t look out of place. To be honest, don’t see anything happening for a while but who knows :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

I could’ve sworn this is the same plot that had recently requested a 40 story rezoning, am I wrong?

1 Like

You might be thinking of the Tin Roof request across the street? Pretty sure they’re part of a cluster requesting 40 stories

1 Like