Future of Glenwood South

A CitizenM would be great here. That or any 20 story futuristic boutique hotel would be great.

I for one would love to be in the company of their existing locations… :eyes:
#Raleigh_Cachet_Growing

2 Likes

Good memory…

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/01/13/local-firm-seeks-40-story-rezoning-on-glenwood-ave.html

Hmmmm, so I wonder why the change from requesting 40 to now just 20? BOOOO!

Their hotels are nice but are only for singles or couples because of the small room sizes. I stayed at the new one in Boston and the view was great :ok_hand:t4:.

2 Likes

Maybe they actually have a plan to build something now, though, instead of just speculatively rezoning? #optimism

4 Likes

Apparently Raleigh Mag has a podcast where they go into detail about this project (The Yard) for anyone who’s curious.

2 Likes

A CityPlat / Local Icon combo here could turn out a cool space…

City Plat… It will never get built. Hype the land trying to get a higher price than they paid .

Yeah I was intrigued when they said they’d bring back some of the Linus & Pepper food to the space that’s currently the inspection station.

1 Like

MmmmmKay…>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :grumpy_cat:

2 Likes

Don’t think so; it looks like it’s going to be a higher-end restaurant. Here’s their branding and a sample dessert menu. It’s a partnership between chefs from Fiction Kitchen and Bittersweet.

3 Likes

Super excited for this! Also love that they’re paying homage to the old art store that used to be in that space. I too made a couple trips there while I was in high school.

1 Like

Looks like the TBJ has picked it up too. Says construction should start in the fall and last 90-120 days?

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/04/06/new-food-bar-spot-glenwood-south-the-yard.html

EDIT: Meant to include the rendering from the article.

18 Likes

…and the only cars parked there are food trucks :exploding_head:

7 Likes

Was also curious about parking. I think this will be pretty cool tbh. Could probably survive with just foot traffic

2 Likes

Do you think the Smoky Hollow deck and the one behind the Ale House are close enough for most people? I personally think it’s close enough but I know there’s plenty of people who would want something onsite.

Also, remembered the Creamery should have a parking deck in the future too…

1 Like

IMO these small scale developments can and should be built without parking. I haven’t fully dug into the new parking minimum changes but I think things like this can go without providing any.

17 Likes

This is a far cry from the 20 shipping containers they said in the Raleigh Mag article. But nonetheless is a cool addition.

2 Likes

I’m with ya, I was just pointing out for those who need/wanna park they have their close enough spots to.

@Justin6882 I know they mentioned some would be two stories so there might be more than meets the eye (hello Optimus) but I guess we’ll all see.

2 Likes