Future of Glenwood South

As someone who lives not too far from where the TapStation in Apex is going, I can already tell you I’ve heard neighbors lament over ‘where to park.’ Apex has even less transportation infrastructure than Raleigh so everyone will be driving to this. That part of town is near downtown where there’s only street parking and they’ve set up at a busy intersection too.

All that being said, I honestly can’t wait for that spot to open. If it’s anything like their other offerings (Mason Jar Taverns, Scratch locations, or their brewery) then it’ll be delicious and a great experience.

There are hundreds and hundreds of people living within a couple of blocks walk from this location. I am not concerned at all about supporting folks who want to drive to the location. If they do come by car, they can park a few blocks away and walk like everyone who is coming by foot from the neighborhood.

7 Likes

Street parking in Apex can be tight on Salem Street for literally the two blocks between Center and Chatham. Go
even half a block past Chatham on Salem and there’s plenty of spaces, and very seldom a crunch. And Tap Station is 3 full blocks south of Chatham.

People worried about having to walk a block or two can go suck an egg.

3 Likes

It’s my understanding that this deck along Salisbury is free on the weekends. I’m sure it’s hugely under-used but it’s an easy 10 minute walk to this place.

4 Likes

The intent of my comment was around the concept of what is going in. Not necessarily about parking.

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with what you are saying. I’m just pointing out what some of my neighbors have said.

@John Not sure if you talking about The Yard or Tap Station. If you’re speaking about The Yard, yes, there’s tons of people around that can walk to it that live close by.

@TheNightHawk I agree I think a concept like Tap Station can work in that space. If I’m understanding CityPlat/Local Icon’s concept here I believe it will be more than one tenant, unlike Tap Station which would be just Tap Station.

Good point Leo! People in Raleigh need to get used to putting in a little effort when it comes to leveraging downtown and not expecting immediately adjacent parking to everywhere that people want to go.
I didn’t know that this parking garage was free on weekends.
Edit:
Was just looking at streetview on Google Maps, and the sign at the entrance says employee parking 5AM-5PM M-F and towing enforced. I wonder if that means that it’s open to the public in the evenings on weekdays as well?

3 Likes

Fairly sure the complaints about parking above are referring to downtown Apex, not Raleigh. The closest public non-street parking from Tap Station looks to be about a quarter of a mile away. That’s barely a walk for a city but it is likely further of a walk than suburban residents are used to when parking. Not even the Costco parking lot is that far of a walk.

It may be, but let’s face it, many people complain about parking downtown and having to walk. For them, they can just not come downtown if it’s that much of a bother.

Parking is free after 5pm during the week. There have been suggestions of running a shuttle bus from this lot to Glenwood South on weekends. Although, I don’t know who they could hire to drive a bus full of drunks. The City can’t even hire enough drivers to restart the R Line.

2 Likes

Let them walk. If they can walk up and down Glenwood, they can walk to the garage.

6 Likes

Dropping this here.

2 Likes

In the article, a police lieutenant says that it’s hard to measure noise from one establishment when there is noise coming from many sources. I can see where this is a problem. But if they go to the homes of the people calling in noise complaints, they should be able to tell what the source of the noise is that’s affecting those locations. Window rattling bass is pretty easy to identify when you’re in the building where the windows are rattling.

1 Like

It’s such a cop-out (pun intended) to use the “we can’t isolate the noise” argument to just not do anything. That only tells the entire block on Glenwood from Peace to Johnson to make as much collective noise as they want because the sound can’t be isolated and measured.
My condo is in the same building as that woman who complained about the rattling, and I am glad that I face Boylan instead of Glenwood. The big “wedding tent” that butts up against the Paramount seems to be the biggest culprit for noise for us because it’s operated like a full blown indoor dance club. My parking space in the garage is next to it and it’s REALLY loud. I feel sorry for the folks who live immediate above where I park.
That all said, it’s all going to be replaced soon and that noise ends up somewhere else in the city.

5 Likes

Typical NIMBY behavior those people don’t like us having fun and a good time.

If you want, we can direct that scene to set up outdoors and directly behind where you live.

7 Likes

I could probably fall asleep to it. I mean seriously if we want to be a big progressive city get used to growing pains im willing to take it.

I’m pretty sure all major cities have noise ordinances. I know NYC does. Also isn’t NIMBY. There’s a difference between “I don’t want this here” vs “Be a respectful neighbor”.

Ordinances are there for a reason. They should be enforcing it. There’s other bars/clubs that don’t blast their music outdoors. This place loses their permit, there’s other places than can take its place.

15 Likes

Please show me the receipts.

Bars in New York get noise complaints constantly. 5/6 of them have big “Respect our Neighbors” signs out where people smoke, and the big clubs have immaculate soundproofing.

5 Likes