Future of Glenwood South

I stayed at AC overnight after one of our monthly meetups a few months ago and it was 2-3am before I could get to sleep due to the cub noise. Especially the thumping base. Will never stay there again.

2 Likes

My buddy and his wife stayed at the Hampton inn and it was amazing how loud it was. I’m baffled they they are able to sell those rooms. They were cool about it but can’t imagine they got much sleep. They got an email the day of their arrival saying “it will be loud, we have ear plugs or a sound machine if you want one.” Just wild.

4 Likes

The foundation of downtown Raleigh’s fundamental strategy is its residents. It’s what drives everything else. That’s the city’s priority. It’s what drives retail investment. Residents brought Publix and Weaver St. Market, and It’s what drives alternatives for transit beyond the car. It’s what drives property tax revenues that are necessary to maintain Raleigh’s vast suburban infrastructure commitment. Raleigh’s priority is not a party scene on weekend nights, and that scene doesn’t have a right to do whatever it wants without consequences. There is no right to do whatever you want from the position of a business owner or any individual without regard to others.
Anyone who tells me that they’d be okay if I stood outside of their home, their apartment, etc. at 3:00 in the morning and scream at the top of my lungs is a liar. It’s not okay, and it’s what happens outside of my bedroom window nearly every Friday and Saturday night when it’s not raining outside. Wanting that to not happen does not make me or my neighbors a NIMBY. Blasting music outdoors at the same volume that is typically used indoors is not okay until 2:00AM. There’s a reason why concerts at RedHat and Walnut Creek have a curfew time of 11PM (I think that’s right). Not wanting amplified music outdoors and immediately adjacent to ones home until 2:00AM does not make anyone a NIMBY.

20 Likes

Hopefully the cheeseball owner of the problem bars will get shut down soon by the City.

Then he can spend his time driving his douchebag “Lambo” around town….cheeseball & “charlotte usa” seem like a perfect combo for this tool.

1 Like

Oh yeah, that Lambo. :roll_eyes:
With the west side of Glenwood between Peace and Johnson already slated for redevelopment, it’s easy to imagine something happening soon to the east side with only Raleigh Beer Garden remaining, though it’s easy to imagine it relocating or being reimagined as a part of a larger project in the future. Though I’d be sad to see it go, I can imagine MoJoe’s eventually being displaced as well, and would hope that it could land somewhere else in the neighborhood.

1 Like

Important looking people with expensive pick up trucks at Cornerstone today. Hmmmmm

8 Likes

Great place for Dylan’s Candy Bar!!!

2 Likes

They used to have one of those on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach. It closed though. I think that I had ice cream there once. It was REALLY expensive.

The one in NYC was always a fun place to take tourists with kids. Not a place I’d return to by myself, but charming and does tick the “thing to do that’s isn’t a brewery” box.

1 Like

Oh yeah, the tourists ate that up and their kids ran up huge bills filling up those cellophane cones with $$ by-the-1/4 pound candy. I saw parents’ faces light up (not in a good way) when they got to the cash register.

1 Like

Anyone know of any retail going in anywhere on Glenwood South? Right now we have the wine shop and a clothing store next door. Both have been there for a long time, so assuming they have been successful. I miss Devolve. It was retail, coffee and a bar. Something to get some morning/daytime foot traffic in there. Once a few businesses go in at the cornerstone site and creamery site… that will definitely help with day time foot traffic. Just not sure where they would go for lunch except a few places. Maybe they will walk to smokey hollow.

Oh, and anyone know of future plans for the google building?? I miss it being a restaurant.

2 Likes

Oh, and I’ve said this before… but would love to see a hibachi steak house go in somewhere. I think the vacant spot at the bottom of glenwood one on Hillsborough and glenwood would be great!

3 Likes

I believe the Wine Shop you’re talking about is the one that recently moved to the East side, so that’s one less than you’re even thinking on Glenwood now.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. I saw the other one, but wasn’t sure if they moved or if added a second location. Thanks for the clarification.

Got some info yesterday that this upfit is effectively still Still Life but a country bar theme. We’ll see how it unfolds and if my :bird: is accurate.

This should probably be on the West St corridor thread but maybe splitting hairs vs this thread.

6 Likes

Welcome to Glenwood South. We’ve got it all, from Instagram ready selfie bars to country bars, from douchebro bars to trendy restaurants that are actually just bars. A bar for everyone!
:beers:

2 Likes

Noooo I’m about to suffer with it being right out my window. Country music is not my thing haha.

1 Like

Interesting play with Tin Roof and Pink Boot within walking distance

Tin Roof was mentioned as this being a play off of.

So instead of trying something new and bringing something unique to the table… their strategy is “play off of” another, already super popular concept within walking distance? Bold strategy, Cotton, let’s see how that plays out for them.