Future of Glenwood South

Ah, will update my post. Thx!

Good. The building in question is nothing worth saving, but the Hibernian building is way too cool to lose.

7 Likes

I agree. It was the building that started Glenwood South with Sunflowers sandwich shop. Would hate to lose it.

2 Likes

The 301 Glenwood (Plates building) rezoning is under review until 6/23. And it looks like that adorable house marooned in the parking lot will stay a spite house, which is fun.

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2226?u=oakcityyimby

3 Likes

I literally haven’t been in Hibernian since before the fire back in December 2012. No particular reason beyond that I don’t go on Glenwood much. How much of the old building beyond the brick facade is even left, and how much is compleltely rebuilt post-fire?

Was there last week with @OakCityDylan and @OakCityKarla for dinner.
Interestingly enough, we talked about the fire and the fact that I was there on Christmas Eve for lunch just two days before the fire. We were talking about what it was like prior to the fire. FWIW, much of the vibe is the same, but nearly everything was replaced. The space also lost its fireplace and the sunk-in part of the main bar area. Also, and most obviously, a second level was added.

6 Likes

As if that means anything…

If I’m not mistaken, I think the downstairs portion of the building at the corner of North and Glenwood is mostly original. Haven’t been in a while, but I remember thinking that it looked the same to me.

I really miss the cozy vibe of the original “library” section.

That original Sunflower area is still separate from the rest of the first floor, but it too has been changed over the years. I am not sure how much of that is due to the fire and/or renovations over time. There may be some original parts and pieces.

Here are a couple of photos from Dec. 26, 2012

And here’s one from Jan. 6, 2014 as their expansion and restoration were nearing completion.

17 Likes

I love Glenwood nightlife. But there needs to be more police presence along the street, even though that doesn’t guarantee to stop something like this.

But I was walking home from Tin Roof and the shots fired were pretty close to me, everyone started running away. Scary stuff.

10 Likes

I am all for folks having fun, but this sort of shit needs to stop. However, I am not sure how that happens in our world of increasing access to guns.

13 Likes

I was on North Street a month ago and witnessed a different shooting, also on a Sunday.

On that note I’ll be at North St Beer Station today for chess… hopefully I don’t get shot this time.

5 Likes

Glad y’all are alright but agreed about the police presence needing to be stepped up. If people are afraid of cops, they’re welcome to go elsewhere.

2 Likes

I was out there last night as well and walking back to my bike when the shots let off about what seemed like only a couple hundred feet away. Turned out it was. Helped a chick up when everybody started running.

Not a good look for sure. Keeps happening it’s going to ruin the fun of Glenwood South.

5 Likes

Burger Village has a sign out front saying they’re opening tomorrow. Looks pretty nice inside for a Glenwood South joint haha.

2 Likes

Good! Something needs to compete with one of the best restaurants in the triangle, MoJoes!

Looks like The Avenue’s “grill” is opening up this weekend.

3 Likes

I hope it’s BYOB
Bring your own bullets…

:face_in_clouds:
(Too soon?)

1 Like

Glenwood South parking tickets moving from $30 to $200 in July. Not sure if it’s just for July or if it’s an evaluation period.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtgzctDr0hx/

1 Like