Future of Glenwood South

The corner building is lovely. The parking lots can obviously gtfo and get built on.

The rest of it starts to run into the uninspiring buildings with good affordable small retail spaces debate we’re seeing across the city. The ideal would be bigger better buildings that keep the room for cool businesses.

2 Likes

Little more info from TBJ

"Renderings show renovations to the existing buildings as well as converting a surface parking lot into patio and amenity space. In total, the Row will feature more than 52,000 square feet of space. The properties involved in the project are at 14, 102, 104, 106, 110 and 122 Glenwood.

HUGE improvement
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/05/07/glenwood-south-update-new-restaurant-retail-space.html?csrc=6398&utm_campaign=trueAnthemTrendingContent&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2-M0w6VcOhb7smuUzv0aMklKLC8-7VUIHauUWrTzlvVd7a6bCNESTIVKg

17 Likes

100% disagree. This is probably one of the more interesting blocks in the city.

1 Like

What about the buildings do you like, beyond the businesses in them?

Small, human scaled; doesn’t require a corporate owned business with fat pockets to afford the rent; older, so they have the charm of an old-school neighborhood shop; good street level activation and pedestrian interaction. Basically everything the super-mega-giant sterile retail spaces within all the newer builds lack.

7 Likes

Oh to be clear, given Loden’s track record of actually good development, I was thinking more gentle densification while keeping the small shop texture.

More this (from Seaside, FL):

than this:

Looks like it’s moot anyway, they’ve got some fun plans and are at least getting rid of the parking lots!

13 Likes

I thought I was the only one somewhat disappointed at the missed opportunity for housing. I do agree it’s better than what’s currently there

1 Like

Haven’t met many people here that know of Seaside. Small world shoutout. I take it you’ve been there to have mentioned it? Lots of development inspiration could be taken from the little beach communities along 30A about building approachable dense urban developments.

3 Likes

I have not, but I learned about it in a college class, and of course saw it in The Truman Show. It’s pretty much my ideal for a new suburban/small city downtown. One day I’ll have to make it down there!

2 Likes

Ah, right, totally forgot about The Truman Show being filmed there lol. In my mind it’s still a pretty unknown area. Interestingly enough just last week there was a full WSJ write up on the planned community right by it. It’s the opposite end of the approachable curve where it is clear when you visit you aren’t really welcome.

3 Likes

Unfortunately we always get the latter and never the former. Personally, I like the semi-chaotic mish mash of the different structures. Its cool, old, and relatively good urbanism. I see zero reason to redevelop this site. I don’t have extreme ideological views on density and I’m not a developer trying to maximize a return. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with density, noise, tall buildings, traffic, drunk people, my dog having to get its stomach pumped for the 3rd time because it found a dime bag on Raleigh’s inadequately maintained sidewalks, or any of that stuff. I mainly just love old buildings.

3 Likes

Mid construction

15 Likes

I took these this morning. Forgot to post.

17 Likes

Something nice to mention about this; Revolver (the shop who’s signage is pictured on this building) has already moved to its new location nearby on Hillsborough St. I was happy to see that!

6 Likes

Update on this project. The patio is looking good and they’ve just opened up the wall into what was Devolve Moto for access to the patio.

23 Likes

I’m curious what the vibe will be here. Will it be like Key West or Myrtle Beach? Will it be more like Cornerstone? Will it be more upscale like Solas?

I feel like every bar in GloSo is either trashy or glam trashy.

4 Likes

So you mean like the Bret Michael’s of bars.

Plates/Sushi Blues block submitted a rezoning request apparently. The plot may exclude Hibernian based on iMaps.

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2224?u=oakcitydylan

iMaps shows current owner as:

GLENWOOD CENTER LLC
C/O BLUE RIDGE REALTY INC
2501 BLUE RIDGE RD STE 280
RALEIGH NC 27607-6367

Neighborhood Meeting notice was posted here back in April.

9 Likes

301 is the building with Plates, NY Bagel, etc. though, not Hibernian’s itself at least.