Future of Glenwood South

Split opens this weekend!!!

2 Likes

Waiting for these brownstones to get built.

31 Likes

how many years have we waited?

1 Like

All. Our. Lives.
…
…
…

The block that includes My Way Tavern was rezoned and seems to be headed for a 10-story development. Current leases will be honored.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/04/06/raleigh-rezoning-glenwood-south-commercial-project.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=me&utm_content=RA&ana=e_RA_me&j=31084126&senddate=2023-04-06

14 Likes

I really like My Way but the current building is nothing special, so this is solid news IMO.

3 Likes

Same here. One of the few decent spots to watch all the college football games at once, and as a Chelsea fan it’s our soccer bar, but the replacement will be worth it.

3 Likes

Totally agree here (unlike Berkeley Cafe). I do enjoy the business and would like to see them exist elsewhere, or come back to the new development once complete, but nothing historical lost here and lots to gain.

4 Likes

Well, it’s the only building I’m aware of that incorporated the exterior trees into the porch and roof.

But yea nothing significant worth saving considering this was the original building:

Replaced with this in 1999:

14 Likes

From the Raleigh Downtown FB page:

The 100 block of Glenwood Avenue is getting a facelift. The current assemblage including The Cupcake Shoppe, Mojito Lounge, and Kelly Odom Flowers is being redeveloped into a 2-story mixed use called “The Row at Glenwood” with retail, restaurant and office space.

Led by Loden Properties, a local development group behind other past ITB projects such as Gateway Plaza on Crabtree Blvd. and Target across from NC State.

23 Likes

Loden has really done a great job on everything they’ve worked on so far. Really looking forward to it.

3 Likes

How do you interpret this? Will they be tearing everything down to build one new structure, or just updating the existing buildings?

1 Like

I thought the old Askew-Taylor Art supplies store was being converted into a restaurant, but I think those plans have changed. That’s a shame I recall them having plans to incorporate outdoor seating facing the train tracks.

My wife worked with Loden on the Gateway project, I’ll see if she knows.

5 Likes

Yeah it was the fiction kitchen people and maybe someone else trying to open a restaurant but they made the slowest progress ever on that building, and I’m pretty sure it got abandoned.

I, too, am curious if they’re tearing this all down or not. And if that 3 story white building that just got an upgrade is being modified again for this, or not.

1 Like

I’m not interpreting it, but I assume that whatever they do will look great. They’ve developed from the ground up and they’ve renovated. They did a great job renovating the Longleaf Hotel.

3 Likes

I don’t think that renovation project has started, or if it has, has been completed yet.

Fair. I thought I saw something constructiony over there the other day, but I didn’t get a good look. The picture in the post above made me think it had happened already. I guess it’s just a rendering. Even more curious now if that’s still going to happen or if this new project will take it over.

The 3 story building that is 4 if you count Halcyon along Jones is under renovation now. Windows are out. Parking lot is fenced off with trash bins. Very much underway.

6 Likes

From this link, it doesn’t appear that this is getting replaced with new buildings, rather it seems like they have all come under control of one landlord where they will be upgraded.
Certainly I’m not under any fantasy that these buildings in part or in total won’t be razed and replaced with larger buildings in the future.

9 Likes

Would be a shame if they razed this block.

3 Likes