Future of Glenwood South

I really liked the empty dirt lot. It’s that kind of character downtown Raleigh is losing these days…
:melting_face:
:rofl:

noooo I was so excited something was going to move in that was supposed to honor Askew Taylor’s legacy.

Been meaning to post these photos. They tore down the two houses that have been vacant on the corner of Boylan and North st. The Brownstone sign has been up for a couple years. Looks like this one is finally moving forward.

Just realized City Plat is part of this. Finally they’re doing something instead of just sitting on parking lots lol.

18 Likes

Yes, lots of movement on permits for these.

16 townhomes among 3 buildings. I remember when these were announced they were supposed to be a bit more basic (no rooftop patios, etc) so they would be more reasonably priced.

28 Likes

im not sure what the grounds will look like but perhaps a a nicely ground level courtyard can be a nice replacement?

12 Likes

The Tequila bar is upstairs where Empress Room was. The 2 bars combined is “Split”. Inaccurate reporting once again.

1 Like

Hasn’t this been coming soon for a couple of years?

Anyone hear anything more on this project? Or is this just another CityPlat teaser.

CityPlat has been sitting on that property since the old service station closed. I don’t put much faith in anything they buy. They are just holding the property until they sell for a profit.

11 Likes

It used to be the place I’d go for my car inspections. I wish that they’d, as my mother would say, “shit or get off the pot”.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree on this. They pitched it as a food truck rodeo, which doesn’t require a whole lot of infrastructure. It’ll eventually be sold.

1 Like

Furthermore on this, soft opening this Fri/Sat/Sun. The initial opening won’t have all spaces finished/open but once complete the lower section is going to have a huge outdoor space. Also, the “split” concept isn’t just because it’s 2 bars, but also playing on people that have “split” with cute neon messages throughout and in the bathrooms.

Any word on what the “live music” aspect will be? I have a feeling that, as a tequila bar, they might want to make it a Latin music or even jazz fusion type spot. Could be cool.

The live music will only be downstairs (only the upstairs is the tequila bar) and only on occasion. Where the live music was for C.Grace (stage area) now has a pool table, but it will be moved for performances.

Also, Halcyon will start hosting some Jazz music in the near future.

1 Like

Spotted this today. Outdoor seating for the new spot or have I just not been here in awhile?

12 Likes

This is the back outdoor space for Split (the downstairs portion of course). You’ll be able to take a drink from one bar to the other via the staircase there.

5 Likes

Looks like this renovation is kicking off

14 Likes

Unsure if it’s been noted, but Revolver (the vintage boutique shown in this pic) was able to move right down the street on Hillsborough across from the Bloc 83 development! (in the old building next to Char Grill) - I love to see that; a locally owned small business still lives on, and this cool old building also gets a new life with new possibilities!

16 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Downtown hotels