Future Perfect: things we wish DTR has (but doesn't exist yet)

There is definitely things I was not jealous of but I really loved the divided bike lanes they had near the university campus: Dropped pin
Near 2601-2713 Rio Grande St, Austin, TX 78705
https://goo.gl/maps/yPz3WuH9ihv

I also really enjoy the paths along the river and did runs every morning before work started. We can take the good and leave the bad!

2 Likes

This photo was taken from one of the higher points at Dix Park. A tram from the Dillon’s terrace to Dix, would require 2 aerial supports. A straight shot with amazing urban views. Dillon to Dix and return.

5 Likes

That’s what I like about Keep Raleigh Boring. It doesn’t set high expectations. I’d rather wow someone who had zero expectation, than disappoint someone who had high ones.

5 Likes

I quite liked Austin. I went, expecting it to fall short of the hype, and for me it actually exceeded my expectations. (San Antonio disappointed though). There were plenty things I was jealous of. The traffic and cost of living were not among those things though.

1 Like

I take your point about exceeding expectations and I agree to some degree, but if someone has zero expectations they will likely choose to visit a different place altogether, thus causing Raleigh to miss out on the money they might have spent on accommodations, food, etc.

Right now Raleigh has a definite rep as “nice to live, not much of a destination to visit”. I think it would be good for the city to have a bit more of a reputation as a leisure and/or business trip destination.

3 Likes

And the carrying pods could be shaped like acorns!!

7 Likes

While this might not be perfect, I’m sure that it’s on the minds of some people.

5 Likes

These folks crack me up. They do a lot of them for AL.com, and since I am sentenced to, I mean currently live Alabama I encountered them a few years back. Y’all check 'em out, they skits about the SEC are very funny. Thanks for posting this on @John! I hadn’t seem this one.

Houston has a skatepark that has a cool view of the skyline. Maybe as part of the Dix project?

9 Likes

I am all for things that activate the park. Great idea!

I think Pullen Park has some great oportunities. I know it’s a smaller park but I think some more rides and attractions along the lake would be awesome. Maybe something like Belmont Park in San Diego. image

8 Likes

A building over 20 stories

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Braden
I hope that you enjoy your time here!

2 Likes

Jim Goodman was going to give a Plensa sculpture piece dealing with light and water downtown. He was putting up $2.5M for the project. The Council didn’t like that it was going to occupy parts of the public ROW, and it wasn’t totally under their control. There was a lot of back and forth over it and they all had different ideas of how they wanted Mr. Goodman to spend his money, and it wasn’t going to be what was originally envisioned.

I think for a while after that he started focusing more on Durham. It was about the time they were starting the Tobacco Complex, and there was plenty of potential to attract CBC’s attention.

If the Plensa had went in we’d have an internationally known signature element in place that would have added a lot to the Fayetteville Street experience. Eventually we’ll get that chance again and I hope we don’t turn it down a second time.

2 Likes

While I truly loved this project and especially it’s awesome light display “kind of a high tech thing”. I was one of those that thought that it was a bad idea to put it directly on/over Fayetteville st since the city had just torn out everything. Now wouldn’t RUS be cool place for that project?

3 Likes

From everything I have read there were a ton of parisians against building the Eiffel Tower. It ended up being built as a ‘temporary’ installation.

4 Likes

If the soccer stadium is ever built, I would love to see that plensa sculpture or something similar incorporated into one of the entrance plazas or the adjacent developments, creating an entertainment district.

2 Likes

The City of Raleigh has purchased (anti-vehicle/ramming) Special Event Barricades to replace the trash truck barriers for downtown Raleigh events. Timeline, idk.

11 Likes

I can’t remember who on this forum is hot for :fountain: but one of my favorite websites, www.atlasobscura.com, had an article recently on dramatic fountains from around the world. Here is the article:https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/most-dramatic-fountains

4 Likes

I for one am hot for fountains!! Thanks for the link!

6 Likes