General Feedback and Site Announcements

The non-secure one fails for me.

1 Like

@JimMcK @JimMcK Can you try now?

Both links take me to the blog page. Success!!

2 Likes

Great! I will leave it at that then. Oh technology! :sweat_smile:

Leo, now that your site is HTTPS secure, look into:

1. Implementing browser based notifications. You can automate it, so if someone opts into notifications, then as soon as you post they will be sent a notification (works on all desktop browsers and Android mobile …not yet on IOS mobile). This will keep you site top of mind for people and allow them to see immediately when yo’ve made a post.

2. Creating a web app shortcut… meaning, you can prompt people to book mark your page, and when they do on mobile devices they can get an app icon to do on their homescreen. So DTRaleigh.com is just a click away.

Let me know if you need help with either of these things.

1 Like

For #1, I think this is what you mean, yes?

As for #2, this would just be instructions on how to get people to add a web link to their mobile homescreens, yes? This has been around for awhile but always good to remind folks.

Thanks for the suggestions!

1. Well, I find that forum notification can be a bit annoying since they are so active and there is a fine line between notifications being helpful vs being annoying. I was thinking more along the lines of you using a technology like ‘One Signal’ for the main site (everytime you post an update, we get a notifications) which is free, works very easily w/ wordpress and allows a simple interface for people to subscribe or unsubscribe from the site notifications.

2. Yes and also you having an app icon uploaded so when they do create that shortcut they get what looks like an app. The site I own does it like this…

Hello Suggestion: current entries should be at top of page so you do not have to scroll all the way down page.
Thx

@Raleighwood After doing a bit of searching, it looks like reverse order posts aren’t possible. Sorry about that!

What I would recommend is that you use the timeline “scroll bar” to the right of the topic. At the top of that bar, you’ll see the date of the first reply. Click that to jump to the first post. At the bottom, you’ll see the date of the most recent post. Click that to jump to the most recent post.

Also, to borrow statements from others “Discourse already provides the function of beginning the reading experience where you ended it. In other words, Discourse keeps track of your reading position. For example, if a topic has 40 posts and you read 30 of them, it remembers that. If the topic gets 40 more posts while you’re away, it will start you at #30 so you can pick up where you left off. I know that’s not a direct response to your query, but it’s useful and cool. :slight_smile:

Hope these tricks help make it a better experience for you.

1 Like

Leo,
Thx U for support.

So, I have a silly question: What exactly is the scope of this forum? Obviously it is centered around Downtown Raleigh and its perceived borders, but are discussions relating to other, less-dense ITB neighborhoods such as the western portions of Hillsborough St., or Glenwood Ave. north of Wade Ave. allowed?

Also, what about off-topic discussions? What are the policies here? And should there be an introductory forum where people can say a bit about themselves and introduce newcomers?

1 Like

Not silly at all. I’ll try to answer this a bit.

First, I’ll admit that I’m not trying to micro-manage the posts on this forum. At the same time, I do want them to be focused rather than a mishmash of posts. This is a downtown Raleigh-focused forum, the same spirit behind the blog that started it all.

I actually have always had success with my projects when they are very focused about downtown Raleigh. I don’t want this forum to grow into a city-wide project but of course if there is a strong thirst for it (and the community wants to help) I would entertain expanding it.

A project that’s happening elsewhere in the city can be mentioned but the focus of the topic shouldn’t be that one topic. A good rule of thumb would be to think that as the further away from downtown Raleigh the topic is, the more vague it should be. A tower in North Hills will not have a thread on this forum but what it might bring to the table does apply.

For example, there are no roundabouts in downtown Raleigh. A topic about a new mega-roundabout in North Raleigh, I may not allow, but the topic of roundabouts in downtown Raleigh in general, referencing said mega-roundabout, probably might be appropriate.

Again, I don’t want to micro-manage the topics and categories but over time, the behaviors and preferences may change. I want to be a steward of this community rather than a tyrant. It is what you make it.

I’m pretty lenient when it comes to moderating so go ahead and post and we’ll see where it goes.

Hope that gives you an insight into how I see things here on this space.

4 Likes

When are we getting an updated post on the main site? I need my fix. :wink:

1 Like

Life man. Life.

I always do so much personally in July (out of town for the 5th straight weekend tomorrow) so it hits my flow a bit.

I have stuff in the queue just need to polish them up for next week.

1 Like

groovy. making this 20 characters.

2 Likes

Minor problem here — I’m getting both the dark and light forum images:
Screenshot_2018-12-03%20DTRaleigh%20Community

It changes slightly when I open a topic:
Screenshot_2018-12-03%20DTRaleigh%20Community2

Yet I don’t see it when I switch to the light theme . . .

Jack, thanks. Working it…

Should be fixed now. I actually found a bug in this and fixed it in the process, can be seen in the mobile view where the topic header wasn’t showing so we’re in better shape than before! :grin:

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Height Restrictions : How tall is “TALL”

3 posts were split to a new topic: Tesla Dealership