General Feedback and Site Announcements

One thing that I find very helpful is when people use the quote capability in a response, especially when someone is responding to a post that was made a while back in the topic. It’s very helpful for me & I try to use it often to create context where my post may not be immediately obvious.

5 Likes

I think for the most part things are running pretty smoothly. I don’t think there actually needs to be a min or a max.(but if there is that’s fine too) I think the community as a whole seems to get along pretty well and people are usually stay on topic( or only take a small nudge to get back on topic.) Of course people can get long winded, off topic or nonsensical(me, me and me) but that’s going to happen in any community of intelligent/passionate people. Some online communities can get really cliquish or toxic even. All in all I think things are pretty good as is.

8 Likes

I’ve only had to kick off one person so I think it’s fantastic from a moderator/owner point-of-view. I wouldn’t do this if a bunch of jerks came in here!!!. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Unless they play hockey, I presume?

6 Likes

I just got access to trust flair (Regular) and thought about user flair like Reddit but for which neighborhood you live in or where you work. Maybe just however you feel like you’re connected to DT. Just a thought. I don’t even know if Discourse supports something like this.

1 Like

not built-in but I see there are theme components out there. Is this what you might mean?

Sort of. I more meant rather than where yours says “Regular” it would say “Emo Raleigh” for your neighborhood (or whatever you named it). It’s useful on Reddit because it adds weight to their comment. For example, on Reddit if I asked for cooking advice and got an answer from someone with flair that said “Professional Chef” then I know they prob know what they’re talking about. The feature you mentioned does have a hover-over text that can be added so that would be the same thing if there was a general neighborhood flair icon.

If the trust-level feature was used, other examples could be numbered flair for how many years you’ve lived here, work flair for where you work DT, etc. I actually hate both of those ideas but I’m just thinking out loud here on things that sometimes add context to a comment.

2 Likes

I’ve been asked about this feature before so wanted to let others know that the Community is running the latest Discourse (2.3 details here) and it includes an ignore feature. Different than mute, it sounds like you can completely block a particular person from your view.

This is only available to those who’ve reached Trust Level 2 or higher.

To do this, go to your profile → Preferences → Users and you’ll see an ability to add users to ignore.

Also, important to note is that if a user is ignored by 5 or more people, as an admin, I will get notified. I’ll treat that as light warning and talk to the user about it.

Keep on discoursing.

4 Likes

How do you know what “level” you are?
Does the user get notified if they’ve been ignored? I assume if yes, you don’t know who?

I kinda doubt they’d get notified.

The user does show up as hidden so you can still see their post if you want to

That’s too tempting for me ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if there’s another way to do so, but check your “badges”. If you see a badge called “Basic” and then “Member”, you’re at least trust level 2. “Regular” is after that and means you’ve hit trust level 3. The requirements for each level are details in Leo’s link.

1 Like

Right. If you’re a Member (level 2) or Regular. (level 3) Leaders are level 4 and you can only get their if Admins (only me atm) promote you.

I really like this Discourse software. Has a cooler feature set than some of the other forums we use.

The Badges are an interesting way to get more interaction from the users. At work, we’ve switched our internal forums to microsoft hosted ones which also have ways to encourage participation on the chat groups and on the training areas.

3 Likes

FYI to all. I need to do some maintenance on the site soon. I’m going to take down the site Sunday night around 8pm and it may be down for 20-30 min. We’re filling up the storage so I need to add more resources to the backend. (great problem to have!)

4 Likes

Feedback: we need to be able to get DTR Merch. There are several reasons for this.

1. We can claim to be journalists with DTRC and gain access to buildings

2. We get to advertise your wonderful website, and drive knowledge about our wonderful region.

3. We get to look cool at City Council meetings, and send shockwaves of fear into the naysayers.

5 Likes

Reminder. The site goes down in almost 2 hours today.

Maintenance is finished.

4 Likes

Dammit. I blinked.

Good job Leo!

Wire Service Bot has lost its mind if it thinks that this address is downtown.

https://goo.gl/maps/BQsaTR1VCQXSCNn3A