General Parking Discussion

Bike lanes provide more business than street parking.

Residents in a bikable area are more willing to frequent a business that is easily accessible to them. Businesses and street parking in Downtown Raleigh shouldn’t be built to cater to people that live in Chatham.

10 Likes

I would gladly pay a toll for the bike lanes if it means cars, buses and delivery vehicles will stop stop using them as parking spots, and trash bins, leaf piles and other road debris are cleared off.

3 Likes

That’s a good point, I wonder if that’s the case. I’ll have to remember that next time I’m talking parking with some city staffers.

Also, I wasn’t making an argument that it needs to be subsidized or does not need to be subsidized. I was simply saying that I believe the city’s “rule” is that parking, mainly the decks, should pay for themselves. It’s also my understanding that the on-street parking revenue is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue that the decks make. Therefore, when it comes to policy for on-street spaces, generally the city would do whatever helps businesses the most, whether it be lowering/maintaining/raising rates, adding handicap spaces, or, more currently, allowing streeteries in front of a restaurant.

3 Likes

I mean, we kinda do already… they’re called taxes :rofl: :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

I remember when parking was free all the time downtown. It was during the time period that Raleigh was begging folks to come downtown. As Cary’s downtown matures and demand rises, expect that it too will use fees, zones, etc. as mechanisms to manage parking.

8 Likes

Maybe for a millennial. Going downtown for a very senior citizen is hard. No app for the parking meter, etc. These are the people with disposable income that restaurants need.

You need both for downtown. Free parking and bike lanes. However, I doubt the Death and Taxes customer is biking there .

If they can’t figure out a parking app on a cellphone then that’s their first issue. :man_shrugging:. The world continues to innovate and move forward, change with the times or get left behind.

Considering that food and beverage sales downtown are above pre pandemic levels, it would seem that they are doing fine without the elderly’s disposable income.

6 Likes

You’re right, I walk there with my disposable income. That’s why I live where I live. :walking_man: Every once in a while…that place is $$$

8 Likes

If Death and Taxes felt it was more profitable to go after senior citizens with a lot of disposable income, they’d set up business next to a retirement community. The most common Death and Taxes customers likely live within walking distance of the business. Either working at a business close by (which comes with parking that is paid for) or living in downtown proper.

7 Likes

And charging for street parking is actually better for street business because it incentivizes turnover. Otherwise people hog free spaces while they ________. Do whatever they want

7 Likes

Ehh may be true in bigger cities. But I think the lack of free parking in a small city like Raleigh discourages more visits rather than people hog them. Need more people downtown. Office worker population is definitely down, need to encourage people who think it’s a hassle. Get rid of some obstacles, they may enjoy it if they come. Downtowns are now mostly local tourist destinations.

One reason why most of the highly profitable restaurants in the Triangle are located in easy to access areas. Downtown has a few , but it should have more.

1 Like

I PROMISE you that restaurants don’t need “very” senior citizens lmao. Those are the people that scoff at a hamburger costing anything more than a nickel because their minds are still stuck in the 50s lmaoooo - that, and they don’t tip for sh!t, either.

2 Likes

big homie, I haven’t paid for parking in the City of Raleigh in like a decade LMAOOO

2 Likes

Easy Jake, just my opinions. No personal attacks. Civility, language please. Thanks

2 Likes

That’s it, no more lmao in this thread :man_police_officer: :man_judge: !

Came across this website today. Maybe it can help those who can’t find the ever “elusive” free parking downtown or help those who are willing to pay.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s still incredibly easy to park in downtown for free, especially on weekends. Just need to be willing to walk a couple blocks. Drives me absolutely insane that so many people (my dad, for example) think parking in downtown Raleigh is difficult.

Problem is that most Americans are so used to car-oriented development that they think they should be able to park directly in front of anything they’d like to visit. And that mentality is exactly why cities like Denver and Houston looked like this in the 70’s:

Funny thing is, you can find free two-hour weekday parking on Hargett Street and have a shorter walk to Caffe Luna than you would if you parked at the back of the Walmart Supercenter parking lot in South Raleigh off of US-401. Which of these walks is going to be more pleasant?

This is what we mean when we talk about “car brain.” Many Americans are so used to taking their car everywhere and parking directly in front of their destination that they’d rather circle a block for five minutes waiting for a spot to open instead of just parking two or three blocks away. Certainly doesn’t boost our health statistics.

31 Likes

I frequently take or pickup documents from Green Square for work. I haven’t paid for parking in YEARS. Just have to know where to park and be willing to walk a block or two. I have turned into the office go-fer to DEQ b/c I actually like any excuse I can get to go downtown (and get paid for it :money_mouth_face:)

8 Likes

Was it the “big homie” part? I almost flagged him for that.

1 Like