General Parking Discussion

after being in a few other metros recently, raleighs parking is minor league prices.

2 Likes

when i travel i always think park and walk. its kinda fun that way really. if you don’t want to figure out a new metro areas transit system on the fly.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve been in garages where the first 3 hours are a $21 rate and then go up from there. If you’re there for 1 hour, it’s still $21.

Not to mention some garages in other cities I’ve been to have open/closed hours meaning if you didn’t pay attention, you may not be able to get to your car until the next morning.

2 Likes

I suspect that willingness to pay higher parking fees is especially correlated to ticketed events. It’s easy to imagine that someone with an event to attend will not second guess the price of parking as much as someone who’s more casual and flexible about coming downtown. As a downtown resident who doesn’t drive here, this is just my guess.

1 Like

When I go to events downtown (concerts at RedHat of PEPAC) I park on the on Wilmington Street and have never had to pay :slight_smile: Walking 2 extra blocks saves $$

3 Likes

Where don’t you pay these days? Maybe HS band concerts, but at least here in small town Alabama you pay for pretty much every sporting event, college or high school. I think a large part of the issue is unfamiliarity and lack of certainty. I know my wife doesn’t like to do something unless she knows exactly how the transportation and parking is going to play out.

I suspect that there are lots of folks who feel like your wife does. Ability to walk distances, how fancy one is dressed, inclement weather, feeling safe, etc. are likely all factors that play into people wanting certainty regarding parking.

1 Like

Nothing will make me want to visit a place less than being made to DOWNLOAD AN APP to park there lmao. I’m with the boomers on these ones - same goes for the QR code menus at restaurants :rofl:

7 Likes

I have used the Passport app for downtown parking.

Easy to use. Handy to monitor time remaining and add time to the “meter” without even getting up.

Beats cueing up for the pay station. Can instead pay from the comfort of your car.

3 Likes