General Raleigh History

1. My parents had their wedding reception at the Velvet Cloak Inn.

2. Lots of memories at Mission Valley. My sister won an Anastasia cutout there. My last movie there was A Quiet Place. My dad would often take us there after pizza at Two Guys and walking us around campus. I do wonder if you are misremembering or if it was a Silence of the Lambs re-release, because it didn’t come out around South Park.

3. Andy’s was where I had my first pizza and played my first arcade game. At the time my mom used to let pretend to play and I had a blast. My dad made the fateful decision to put a coin in Ms. Pac-Man (or was it Pac-man?) and then I realized my mom had been duping me the whole time.

1 Like

Probably a different movie, but I did see it first at that theater.
Edit: Maybe it was “As Good as it Gets”?

I remember the Family Fish House at Mission Valley, ny folks taking us for all you could eat fried clams, lol. Then in college I helped tear it all out when it became a night club!

1 Like

A nugget from Olde Raleigh - NC…

Construction of the Wachovia Bank and Trust Building at 227 Fayetteville Street. 25 November 1963.

Looking south, through the skeleton of the new building, the Commercial National Bank (left) and Citizens National Bank can be seen.

The Wachovia Building took over a year to complete and cost nearly $4 million (over $32 million today). It officially opened 11 January 1965. The building is currently occupied by the Poyner YMCA and various other tenants in the office space above.

Only a few months after this photo was made, Citizens National Bank was slowly dismantled. It was built in 1912 and designed by the talented Phillip Thornton Mayre–who also gave us Commercial National Bank, City Hall and Auditorium, the previous Wake County Courthouse, and the Ruffin Building.

NO.11-25.1963
From the N&O negative collection, State Archives of North Carolina; Raleigh, NC. Photo copyrighted by the News and Observer. Illegal to use without express permission from the N&O.

11 Likes

Earlier, in 1913…

Fayetteville Street looking north at its intersection with North Exchange Place (present-day) Exchange Plaza, 15 January 1913. The patriotic bunting and lights seen lining the street were installed for Governor Locke Craig’s inauguration parade which traveled up Fayetteville Street on the day of this photograph.

N.53.16.4331
From the Albert Barden Collection, State Archives; Raleigh, NC.

Just for perspective at that same corner…

Intersection of Fayetteville and Martin Streets looking west in early 1913. This photograph was taken from the newly constructed Commercial National Bank and shows Citizens National Bank (also newly constructed) on the far right. Work is seen underway on the far left for the expansion/renovation of the Federal Building (present-day Century Post Office). During the renovation project, post office operations were temporarily located in the Montague Building (SW corner of Hargett and Blount).

The most prominent structure seen in the photo is the Tucker Building seen on the corner facing the camera. Constructed in 1899 for Florence Tucker, wealthy widow of Raleigh merchant and planter Rufus S. Tucker, it has the distinction of being the only Sullivanesque styled building ever constructed in Raleigh. At the time of its construction it was considered highly modern; featuring elevators, electric lights and steam heating. Until the Masonic Building was constructed in 1907, it was Raleigh’s tallest office building. In 1966 it was demolished to make way for the six story building that presently occupies this corner.

PhC.68.1.119
From the Carolina Power and Light Photo Collection, State Archives; Raleigh, NC.

And a different perspective of the same general area…

On a hot summer day in 1946 there was much ado about soap.

A line of prospective soap buyers is seen stretching from Martin Street to Eckerd’s Drug Store at 222 Fayetteville Street, 18 June 1946.

Published in the N&O, 19 June 1946. “Over 2000 boxes of soap flakes and chips and bars of laundry soap were sold yesterday afternoon at Eckerd’s within two hours. Pictured are several hundred Raleigh residents who stood in line to purchase the scarce items. The line extended for an hour and a half from Eckerd’s to the Wachovia Bank and Trust Company building at Martin and Fayetteville. The sale started at 3 pm and ended at around 4:30, when the soap supplies were exhausted. Approximately 1240 boxes of flakes and about 1000 bars of soap were sold to the men, women and children (really, children?) who braved scorching temperatures to make the purchase.”

It was in fact, quite hot. The 18th was the hottest day of June that year, topping out at 96 degrees.

NO.46.6.34
From the N&O negative collection, State Archives of North Carolina; Raleigh, NC. Photo copyrighted by the Raleigh News and Observer. Illegal to use without express permission from the N&O.

And, finally, this travesty…

Fayetteville Street Mall construction c. 1976.

For 30 years, Raleigh’s Main Street was closed to vehicle traffic. The pedestrian mall was intended to bring people and businesses downtown and create a vibrant, urban environment, flush with retail and energy. What actually happened was the opposite.

The street was reopened 29 July 2006.

PhC.145.Bx2.F3.51
From the Archie and Vallie Henderson Collection, State Archives; Raleigh, NC.

8 Likes

It is interesting how much of a failure the Fayetteville st mall was compared to other cities that had a lot of success with the concept - Denver for instance.

Any idea why that could be?

There wasn’t enough foot traffic to activate the mall back in the mid 70s.
Had the mall been surrounded by enough workers or residents, it could have succeeded. Ironically, now that it’s gone, it would likely have been more successful today.

5 Likes

Having eaten at Char-Grill and Snoopy’s on Hillsborough for well over 25 years. I had no idea as to what was originally between the two establishments…

600 block of Hillsborough Street, 3 January 1991 just after the opening of Snoopy’s second location (being converted from a former gas station). The large stone building seen between Snoopy’s and Char-Grill was the former Temple Beth’Or which occupied this space from 1923-1978. After, it was briefly a Christian church before lying vacant for several years and was eventually demolished in 1991.

NO.83759
From the N&O negative collection, State Archives of North Carolina; Raleigh, NC. Photo copyrighted by the News and Observer. Illegal to use without express permission from the N&O. ⁣⁣

11 Likes

No residents anywhere near our mall. People long ago were booted out or fled. Burlington Verment is also very successful and has a college campus nearby and many neighborhoods a short walk to plus the waterfront hotels.

And before that a 3 story brick hotel called the Hillsbourgh Hotel.

Has this been posted yet?

2 Likes

thanks,

And I always wonder why 5 points is called 5-points, when there are actually 6 roads and six points converging there.

4 Likes

Maybe because the community of Six Forks already existed up the road. That was where Six Forks, Strickland, Leadmine and Bailey wick all came together.

There were six forks up there. But, they have since realigned Leadmine and Baileywick and the six forks are gone.

2 Likes

But where are the six knives and six spoons?

SW corner of the beltline and Six Forks. Modern development being funny but think the very recent expensive houses built changed the street names.

Next to the six plates and cups.

1981 imagery:

2019:

15 Likes

That’s pretty cool…

1 Like

You beat me to it. I remember those days!