General Raleigh History

When I moved here in 1987 the NE corner still had a convenience store on it and the SE field there had a moderate size farmhouse probably 1920 vintage. If you keep driving north from here a lot of that old rural feel is intact since the watershed rules prevent small lot sizes.

It’s amazing that nothing has been built on the northeast corner of six forks and strickland.

1 Like

Wow. The 1981 image looks like the middle of nowhere with some dirt roads.

Pretty much Raleigh in 1981…

4 Likes

That plot of nothing on that corner has been there forever.

I think the northeast corner falls in the falls lake watershed.

We went to the Greystone HOA meeting last March (2019) and they mentioned that someone was interested in building either apartments or a retirement community on that property. Obviously nothing has happened in the past year. I’m not 100% sure where the Falls Lake Watershed line falls, but Strickland Road is a pretty good approximation of where that line would fall.

They usually try to regrade the property so the water flows away from Falls Lake. Maybe that is difficult for that property

Big pumps that also serve as source for big fountain which then drains south. :grin:

1 Like

According to county tax records, some LLC with a Dallas, TX mailing address bought it almost 4 years ago for $3 million, so I can’t imagine it will stay undeveloped.

Back in 1981, my father traveled east to west every morning through that intersection on his way to RTP. In those days, that’s how many in far north Raleigh got to work.

4 Likes

You’re not wrong. The northern limit of the City was about Millbrook Road.

1 Like

Ah yeah that could be. Six Forks is a ridge that dives right into the lake if you keep driving north.

Actually, North Ridge was annexed a decade or so before (1969?) but you actually left the city limits and then rejoined the city as you drove up Falls of (the) Neuse.
When I was growing up there in the 70s, my cul-de-sac was the furthest north that the city limits went.

2 Likes

Ah that would explain that semi-mid century stuff in there. Thanks for the info!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7512-Harps-Mill-Rd-Raleigh-NC-27615/6384130_zpid/
Like this one?

Yessir, spot on…

Here’s a colored annexation map for the city.

8 Likes

Ah yeah I love these. Interesting how there’s nothing for the 30’s

1 Like

Gads. I’m in COVID-19 mode. I see any map, and think, ‘It’s the bug!’