General Restaurant News and Updates

Gringo a go go? Pretty good right?

My most recent discovery is Don Beto’s tacos https://g.co/kgs/k5wsKA). Very near El Toro, but better and a little closer to downtown. Also, the taco truck Costas El Grande on Lake Wheeler 5 days a week is bomb.

Don Beto’s and Costas El Grande look good!

I should say I’m not a big fan of double tortilla tacos. The reason a lot of taquerias use double tortillas (even authentic places) is because the tortillas fall apart easily. This is because they’re using store-bought tortillas and allowed to sit for many hours even days before being reheated and used. Fresh, made same day tortillas using good quality heritage corn will still have elasticity and moisture resistance so you only need to use one superior tasting tortilla that doesn’t over-power the point of the taco–the filling.

4 Likes

There is nothing like fresh tortillas from the tortillera. Like fresh bread to the french, fresh tortillas were a daily staple when I got to live in Mexico.

1 Like

I found that odd too. Both are super cheap…why can’t I have both (together they make a complete protein too for veg folks)

The rice & beans are my litmus test for Mexican places. You can fake a lot of stuff, but if you can’t make proper beans and rice there are underlying problems.

Looks like Benelux in the downtown YMCA has closed.

The authentic Mexican food scene is sparse? No, that’s not correct at all. There is more Mexican food in Raleigh than everything else combined. Try the BP on Capital Blvd.

That’s a shame, but it was an odd concept - I bet a lot of folks assumed it was for YMCA Members only. Also with Morning Times, Sir Walter, 42 & Lawrence, lucettegrace, and Raw all with lots more indoor seating a few blocks in all directions, they had too much competition.

Cow tongue is amazing - being Russian, I grew up with it and make my own about once a month.

I believe that they were referencing the downtown authentic scene. El Toro, Don betos, Vallarta, etc. are great, but not downtown. Jose and sons, Gallo Pelon, and Centro are fusion places. All tasty in my opinion, but not necessarily authentic.

New donut and croissant restaurant coming to West st. near the Cardinal Bar. June 30th

6 Likes

Apparently there was a fire at Gravy on Wilmington St. last night:

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: New Retail/Restaurant Openings

Noticed Growler USA on Blount St. is closed and will be “reopening soon under new management”, not clear if it will still be Growler or another restaurant/bar

Welcome to the group, @WHardee!
This was brought up over at General Retail/Restaurant News - #317 by Justin6882.

1 Like

Doh, apologies. Thanks

1 Like

No worries and thanks for the contribution!

1 Like

Let’s close this thread and I’ll broaden the other topic.