General Retail/Restaurant News

I wish everything in life was free. It’s just not fair.

1 Like

:triumph:
That’s all I’m asking for…

1 Like

Cited lack of foot traffic and increased construction costs put him under .

It must suck to be the first in an area like this and then have to wait for the other tenants to build out to help drive additional traffic.

1 Like

They were counting on breakfast , lunch and dinner. Lack of office tenants was the main factor they said .

Honestly, just sounds like this guy is a terrible businessman… not only does he decide the time to open his food and beverage business is literally smack dab in the middle of the worst of the pandemic when no one was frequenting food and beverage businesses … but then he decides less than a year into this risky new venture to open a second location in an even more expensive space??? This dude doomed himself from DAY 1.

9 Likes

Lack of basic common sense is his main factor. You cannot assume your second location will be the driving success factor when your first location isn’t even out of the red :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Tend to agree. Everyone is facing delays and increasing costs, and part of that has always been a factor for new businesses or expansions. Also, he was relying on a nonexistent office worker market which has been a known quantity for literally 3 years now. And how are HiWire and that Neopolitan pizza place over in Golden Belt still doing fine (despite not exactly having office highrises next door) but his place couldn’t figure it out?

I’m not saying starting or running a small business isn’t hard or risky, but I feel like a lot of this could’ve been planned better with a happier outcome.

9 Likes

I went to Midwood Smokehouse the other day. Was a good place. Sad to see J Lights down since I was able to eat there about a month ago.

I wouldn’t complain if there was a Chipotle or Cava there, but I wouldn’t visit Smokey Hollow to go there. Would probably be ok for the residents who live there. I’ve avoided Chipotle due to bad experiences at the one over at North Hills.

I am interested to see what does go in.

3 Likes

Went to the Midwood Smokehouse a couple of weeks ago too. Food was great, service was great. Will be eating there again. I’d put it up there with any of the other good BBQ joints around downtown. Get the brisket.

9 Likes

Went there today for lunch and can confirm all the things said about Midwood. Excellent service (I sat at the bar) and the food was good. No more expensive than any of the others.

7 Likes

Brisket was great and they let you choose if you want the flat (dry) or point (moist)

6 Likes

Seconding the praise for Midwood. The whole hog was acceptable, but the brisket and sides were solid, the beer list was great and the roll-up windows for the outdoor bar seating are going to be awesome once the temperatures come back up.

7 Likes

Restaurant owners should probably also refrain from arguing with patrons publicly over Google reviews.

4 Likes

I’m wishing the owners of Midwood all the best! It seems like everything is going well so far, that I can tell.

4 Likes

Like the Manhattan Cafe owner?

OMG you weren’t kidding :rofl:

1 Like

He is BIG MAD. Fwiw, I think they have fast service and generally nice workers, but some of the comments are fair. I went looking around different Google restaurant reviews around downtown to see which one Brandon might be referring to, and if this wasn’t it, it definitely qualifies as being pretty over-the-top for someone in hospitality.

Yeah, that’s a bad look. I went there once with friends over Christmastime and was underwhelmed. Breakfast for the 3 of us was ordinary at best, not served at the same time, and cost us over $60 after tax and tip. The space didn’t feel special and had zero vibe IMO. I didn’t go back and I won’t miss it.

2 Likes

I’ve never wanted to eat there based on looking in the windows and the lack of buzz about the place the entire time I’ve lived here. But those review responses make me like them. I can appreciate trolling back people who are basically trolling you and your business.

2 Likes