General Retail/Restaurant News

Shopping at Walmart, Aldi, and Food Lion (rather than Harris Teeter, Publix, Whole Foods etc) and dropping organics and brand name products will save you a pretty penny. Like 30 or 40%. Even Costco isn’t really that cheap (except their rotisserie chicken which is a steal.) That said, my family of 5 is probably still north of 200 weekly.

As a northern-born Italian who loves pizza, I was always confused by Poolside Pies.

Those wood-fire pizza Margherita spots need to have a hint of old Italy in their brand/space design to really give you the full experience (at least that’s how I’ve always felt). Smaller, cozier, dimly lit.

Poolside pies played off this weird pool theme and while I thought the decor and everything was cool, it just never really matched the vibe I was looking for when I wanted that type of Italian food/pizza.

I do think you can do old Italy in a somewhat trendier fashion. For instance, I think Pizza Faulisi (Cary) does a good job of making me feel like I could be at a relative’s house in Italy eating pizza.

I know this is neither here nor there, but in a food/beverage market as competitive as the Triangle, I think these subconscious vibes can be the difference between going somewhere or choosing somewhere else. I think Pooleside Pies was a victim of this.

3 Likes

I’d argue it’s about as “Old Italy” as Pizzeria Toro, which does gangbusters business. Of course, being in Durham’s buzzier downtown definitely helps.

5 Likes

Those walls are bare smh… no pictures or anything

1 Like

I could only dream of a downtown Aldi! That would be amazing.

3 Likes

I like Pizza Toro a lot and I do think it hits that vibe in a more modern way than Pizza Faulisi does, which I think also fits DT Durham well. Nothing against them at all since they’re my go-to in Durham for the wood-fired pizza.

1 Like

10 Likes

This is the full article they reference, btw.

I’m excited!

10 Likes

Ciguno Forno is the best pizza in dt Durham anyway.

1 Like

Can’t remember the name of this small renovation project but seems it may be starting. Three house bar/restaurant if I remember right. Houses next to the old Goodnight spot.

6 Likes

I’ve eaten there a few times since their big remodel several years back. I doubt I’ll be rushing to go back…

3 Likes

I forgot to post this a few days back but related to The Acorn topic, here’s a window shot of the upcoming coffee shop next door. They look like they could open any day now.

24 Likes
4 Likes

Obnoxious. From the article: " Zen Succulent will close its location at 208 S. Wilmington St. on Dec. 24 as [downtown business owners deal with crime in the area."

Also from the same article, quoting the owner: “Despite facing the challenges of the toughest pandemic years, our sales in Raleigh experienced a big dip, and despite our best efforts, we couldn’t bring them back to pre-pandemic levels.”

It was simply due to low sales post-pandemic, an issue that every single retailer has been facing in every single city in the country. But this is WRAL, so they MUST mention “crime” in there somewhere. F**k off.

14 Likes

Agreed. If the owner specifically cited crime as a factor, and listed some experiences, that’s a different story. This seems like WRAL just trying to use this to bolster their current “theme,” which riles people up and gets clicks.

8 Likes

Did I miss this? Two new places for Smoky Hollow I hadn’t seen before.

9 Likes

You actually posted about them a while ago in the Smoky Hollow thread, haha. Glad to see some activity on those.

1 Like

Alaska-Indian fusion. Nice!

I’m losing it, clearly following to many threads. :disappointed:

4 Likes

I mean no offense to the store, which I’m sure was lovely, and probably owned and staffed by lovely people, and great that they were open for as long as they were. But if someone thinks that a succulents shop closed due to something other than ability to meet overhead, I don’t know man.

12 Likes