General Retail/Restaurant News

I don’t think it’s too bewildering since most people aren’t parking too far from where they’re visiting. I live over nearish to Moore Square and was walking home from Person Street, so I don’t think it was too unlikely that the gentleman thought I was walking to my car.

But yeah, you absolutely never run at a person at 1:00 am on a dimly lit street. That area 100% needs more light.

1 Like

As of about a year ago, it was the lot on New Bern/East next to the “Welcome to Raleigh Y’all” mural. Which could be described as by the Lincoln apartments, but adds a couple blocks of poorly lit walking.

Almost joined in a couple times over the past few weeks. But for some reason this was the post that made it happen?

4 Likes

Homeless services should be located wherever there is need. Often that means near parks and transit hubs. Deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill and and the lack of federal support for transitional housing are big issues that can’t be solved on a municipal level. The municipal solution is building vibrant downtown residential communities that are not car-dependent so you have lots of sidewalk traffic at all hours. Balance the ratio of housed to nonhoused pedestrians and chance criminal encounters less likely to happen.

7 Likes

The folks behind Gypsy’s Shiny Diner are opening Tucker Street Diner in Smoky Hollow where J. lights was. The map is also still showing Crunkleton.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4-bVcUMeLd/?igsh=MWFqZ2ZhZWVuenRwag==

19 Likes

A diner… open 24hrs??? Or at least till 3AM???

2 Likes

I’ll take: Places I’d never want to work for 800, Alex…

I frequently think about how well a Waffle House would do in one of the bigger retail spaces. Not sure it’d fit the vibe of Smokey Hollow though. But I hope this one is open late!

7 Likes

It could totally work in an urban storefront downtown. If not in SH, certainly somewhere.

7 Likes

They’ve actually already got one in Chapel Hill

10 Likes

Kinda like the one in downtown Wilmington

11 Likes

So we’re all in agreement that we need one in Downtown Raleigh? Talk about something that could activate Fayetteville Street!

23 Likes

And then 5 months after it opens half of this board will be complaining about the type of crowd it brings in

10 Likes

I’d complain about it now, plus the fact that they’re gross. :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Sir, this is a downright unamerican opinion. Truly top tier hangover cuisine. And one of the top three Anthony Bourdain episodes.

15 Likes

Yep, almost as disgusting as cookout.

Most disgusting fast food ranked:

1. Cookout
  2. Waffle House
  3. Bojangles
2 Likes

Saw this from the Raleigh Downtown facebook group. I think it’s a better idea long-term. Grilled Cheese plays better during all seasons while ice cream only plays well during Late Spring/Summer/Early Fall.

Looks like it’s a franchise as well: https://www.lovemelty.com/

Menu: https://www.lovemelty.com/_files/ugd/84b0e1_8b1db914be6b49f4920fe6fcf92b9d20.pdf

11 Likes

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.45.44 PM
MeltyNibblesPLZ!?

3 Likes

Check out Mister Pompadour. They do a free beer too and have some of the best barbers in town.

1 Like

I felt obligated to post this. Hope everyone survives getting to Young Hearts

5 Likes

That one closed a loong time ago. East Franklin St in Chapel hill is all abandoned storefronts and tumbleweed. Makes Fayetteville St feel like an EDM party.

2 Likes