Historic City Market

The full lots are included with the rezoning, but conditions were included that the historic structures would remain.

3 Likes

It’s amazing to me that someone hasn’t jumped on that horse stable structure for a food service concept right across from Moore square, especially if to-go cocktails remain a thing!!!

6 Likes

I even remember the city was asking for bids for ideas, and there were some really good ideas presented including walk-up tacos. wellwerewaiting.gif

3 Likes

@Francisco we’re waiting! Bring us some DT birria!!

1 Like

New Birria spot opening in seaboard station, will be open 24 hrs.

5 Likes

Application for the proposed rooftop patio for 224 E Martin. Just 21’x37’ in the center of the roof, setback from the edges to avoid view from the ground? I guess the City Historic Commission has to decide if the “visibility of the roof deck compromises the character of the historic district”. Sounds like they are leaning towards approval though.

Personally, I’d love to see a patio deck cover 100% of roof and I have no issue seeing it on top a historic building.

16 Likes

New restaurant possible or speculative improvements?

1 Like

There was a dumpster out in front of the property a few days ago with a bunch of debris in it. Looks like they’re doing some work on the interior, or at least cleaning it up.

2 Likes

This is great - City Market needs some love, and this could be the first domino that falls leading to many renos in city market.

12 Likes

Work needs to continue with opening up the old city market building to the public with a restaurant again.
Now it’s really wasted space with events not open to the public.

5 Likes

In theory I agree with you, but my fiance and I have our wedding booked there next fall, so let’s wait until 2023 for any changeover.

12 Likes

I wish that there were more crossover event spaces that served multiple functions. When I lived in Savannah there were multiple restaurants that were open for breakfast and lunch (or brunch on the weekends) but then would function as an event space at night. Or even just some dinner restaurants that would be closed every now and then for a wedding.

11 Likes

I imagine that Big Ed’s would have a thing or two to say about a breakfast and lunch restaurant opening right next door to them.

I would imagine if it’s a breakfast/lunch spot that’s also going to be functioning as a wedding venue the target audience would be a little different…

But either way, dual function just makes so much more sense, regardless of what the other function is.

6 Likes

Like Junction Salon & Bar in the Depot. It’s not a big space but it’s multi-use. Oh, and they’re putting in another dedicated only event space 3 doors down (or so) where Jose & Sons was. :man_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

Exactly. That event space seems like it will be a big hole right in the middle of the Depot most of the time (just like Market Hall). :unamused: I hope I’m wrong, though.

To me, Market Hall being what it currently is has contributed to City Market’s struggle to be the destination it should be (in addition to the current owner’s lack of vision). The Night Markets have been nice, but it would be even better if that was the norm rather than a once a month special event.

Dedicated event spaces should make use of space that is otherwise out of the way, not the focal point of a major historic asset of a city. The Stockroom on Fayetteville St is a good example.

14 Likes

PREACH! I’m also still really upset about Jose and Sons because I loved it.

But like @Deb mentioned, “The Venue” just going to be a black hole the majority of the time for an otherwise very active location. What a silly thing. I could totally see Market Hall has detracted from City Market’s potential for growth.

7 Likes

Why can’t those spaces just be daily pop ups? If a vendor wants to take down space, they set up in the am and break down in the pm. Maybe if an event isn’t happening for a few days they can leave their stuff set up. Maybe a stupid idea…

4 Likes

I’ve wondered if the space could function as a market in the daytime and event space as needed. The market could be vendors using temporary set ups similar to the farmers market but more directed at crafts, etc. I’m thinking of the Slave Market in Charleston?? It could be a tourist destination and could add local flavor to the City Market.

3 Likes

In the 1980’s when the city market was first restored the building served as a food hall. It was very busy and it was very popular. Then came Geenshields, which was also very popular. It was nice seeing the outdoor seating area teeming with people. Oh the good ole days.

6 Likes