Holiday Inn and New Kimpton Hotel

Have you ever stayed at the Waldorf Astoria?

In Chicago, yes. Been to but not stayed at the one in Park City as well.

I have not been in there since HS/University days so not 100% sure; but I’m willing to bet the interior walls are curtain walls and can be easy to removed. One that is that is done each floor would be a big open space to remake. I’m guessing would be fewer rooms per floor and make for some funky layouts, which seems that Kimpton likes.

2 Likes

The dream: Longleaf-style quirky affordable option in the hair curler + new fancy Kimpton building built on the gravel lot. They can share services like dual-branded Marriott or Hyatt buildings.

11 Likes

So funny. Raleigh Magazine “heard” Kimpton was going to renovate the Holiday Inn. TBJ is now reporting the hair curler is coming down and the new hotel will span both lots.

The new source is Tidal Real Estate Partners and says the new plans should be filed with the city today.

Some nuggets to chew on:

…hotel portion of the project facing Hillsborough Street with 179 rooms and the residential side of the building looking out over East Edenton Street with a total of 350 units – 280 one-bedroom units and 70 two-bedroom units. The planned parking deck would have 447 parking spots and the restaurant and retail space totals 7,698 square feet…

20 Likes

WHEW :grimacing:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/02/11/downtown-raleigh-holiday-inn-hotel-to-be-replaced.html?cx_testId=7&cx_testVariant=cx_29&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

2 Likes

14 Likes

18 Likes

Always something philosophically sad about a former city tallest coming down (the death of yesterday’s bright future or something like that), but in this case I’ve got plenty of sympathy for the developer - the shape and building innards would require huge investment and revamping to make anything work, it’s not just incorporating a little brick train station.

Is this Raleigh’s tallest-ever demolition?

7 Likes

Looks like we will actually lose 24 hotel rooms in the end. Also I’m assuming we will get to see an implosion which is going to be awesome to watch!

Unfortunately construction does not start until the end of 2023.

"The mixed-use project is expected to break ground at the end of 2023 and deliver in late 2025 or early 2026. The company declined to share the projected costs of the development. "

5 Likes

We need to have a meetup for that! :firecracker:

I’ve said it before, but I don’t really care for the holiday inn building, so I’m pretty excited for this.

15 Likes

447 spots for that many units plus hotel actually isn’t that bad. Less than 1 per bed.

3 Likes

Won’t get an implosion with Taverna Agora & 2nd Empire next door.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’ll probably look like (a much scaled-down version of) the Union Carbide Building demolition in New York: Tracking JP Morgan Chase's Demolition of 270 Park Avenue in Midtown East - New York YIMBY

3 Likes

Or the one in Durham that was posted recently on here

2 Likes

Growing up in Raleigh, I’ve always had a soft spot for the quirky/uniqueness of the Holiday Inn. I hope we don’t get some bland, blah/blah new hotel just for having one’s sake. This design is giving me strong meh? vibes so far.

Definitely all for a cool, trendy, nice, boutiquey Kimpton coming downtown though.

9 Likes

The detailing and material selection on the brick podium is going to be so crucial. It could look really nice or really pasted-on.

3 Likes

Agreed, if it’s tastefully done like the Dillon then I think it can look great. This is going to be a nice corridor of construction with the Holiday Inn, 400H, 501 Hillsborough, and if CityPlat does that dog park project too.

4 Likes

I agree, going off speculation from the renderings, but there isn’t going to be much variation from Pendo Tower, 400 Hillsborough and this development.

All 3 roughly 20 stories, a majority blue tinted glass exterior on top of a parking pedestal.

3 Likes