Hotels Choosing to Locate Outside of Downtown

Will, thx U very much

I mean, yes, it isn’t a bad thing at all, especially not for Raleigh as a whole, but Crabtree is a bit of a mess. If companies want to build outside downtown, there should be a focus on our midtown, North Hills.

2 Likes

Actually Midtown Raleigh is North Hills, Crabtree Valley, Cameron Village, Five Points, plus everything in between. But it seems as if only North Hills is really trying to make the name stick…

I mean, I love midtown bring it all here!
But I understand the market appeal of Crabtree. Better connection to RDU, downtown, RTP. Better connection to the greenway network. Neither is walkable.

Crabtree is a mess for traffic, but I don’t think a few hundred travelers a day will not really make an impact. Much greater is all the subdivision development going on up north on 70 and the Briar Creek crowd driving down to the beltline.

Speaking of North Hills, does anyone have a timeline for the new towers that have been proposed? The 32 story and 20 story? Or any preleases that haven’t made headlines?

This is all that is on their website:

2 Likes

They are doing ground/foundation work for what I believe is the shorter building (farther away from the intersection with Six Forks), but the taller building/lot is untouched as of last weekend.

2 Likes

they’ve started construction but I don’t know of a timeline for completion.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article215561800.html

keep it on the dl, @dtraleigh might bust us for straying away from a DT focus! :wink:

3 Likes

North Hills is NOT midtown, they just stole that label before someone else did.
Cameron Village is a real midtown or Five Points, these are the areas where development (hotels) should take off.
North Hills East is so boring, awful layout.
Build downtown Kane, North Hills is now officially one dimensional and has a boring suburban feel, OMG, stop with the tan stucco in this city.

2 Likes

I applaud Heritage Properties, focusing on development downtown, hope they go much taller then current projects!!!
Kudos to Heritage.

1 Like

I agree that North Hills East is not a true urban area, but its much more 3-dimensional than what we had there before.

If that density and mixed-use is allowed to spread, the area could become a great success.

If it is walled off zoning-wise, I fear it will become a liability for the city long-term.

Hey man, I live here and I had to learn to stop calling it North Raleigh and start calling it Midtown. How would you refer to this area just north of the beltline? I’m open to re-branding, Midtown was never my favorite moniker.

2 Likes

Need to stop using boring generic names like Midtown. This city is round what the hell is a midtown in a round city?

Mordecai, Boylan, Oakwood, Hillsborough are all cool, interesting, unique neighborhood names. What’s something notable about just slightly north of Downtown Raleigh? Any historic figure or event?

Honestly… I think “North Hills” kinda covers this area naming wise… It is located on the hills to the north of DTR. Our 1960s forefathers had it right :wink:

4 Likes

I think Midtown is more a region than a neighborhood - Northills, Hickory Hills, North Glen are all established neighborhoods inside of Midtown. “North Hills” would be confusing - are we talking about the neighborhood, the larger area, or the Kane development?

Kind of like how the Warehouse District, Mordeci, Boylan Heights, Glenwood South are all part of Downtown.

I think of Midtown as being several neighborhoods, and the Midtown CAC is much larger than any individual neighborhood. image

I think this is one of those things we just have to move on from, the realtors and journalists aren’t likely to change the way they refer to this area after 10 years of precedent. We even have a magazine!

Does anybody other than Kane really refer to this area as “Midtown”? What’s it the midpoint between? Downtown and Oxford?

1 Like

It’s midway between downtown and I-540 (kinda). I agree with the others… North Hills is a better name than ‘Midtown’.

all the realtors, developers and journalists and city staff refer to it that way.

“North Hills” is a neighborhood within Midtown. And the name of a shopping center/mixed used development. Using that term to refer to the broader region would just be confusing.

“Midtown” might not be great, but we have to agree on common terms. The area used to be “north Raleigh” till the boundaries moved far enough north to make that confusing. North Hills has always existed as a neighborhood - to change that term to suddenly encompass 10s of thousands more people would be more confusing than the change from “North Raleigh” to “Midtown”

1 Like

I have been down there…SO…I do believe you.

I have Always called it North Hills since I first Moved here back in 1986. since returning from San Francisco in 2003 I had called it North Hills and always will.

1 Like

The crabtree mall area has a mix of 3, 5, 7, and 12-story zonings. I’m not sure we should jump to the idea that something very tall is coming there right now. Let’s wait and see for a rezoning.

2 Likes