Hotels Choosing to Locate Outside of Downtown

Wow, that’s a sweet little tower for Brier Creek. I also lament that downtown ain’t getting this action. But nuthin wrong with the RDU/airport/Brier Creek area continuing to build out. And up!

2 Likes

So now there are 2 Westins planned for the area – Crabtree Valley and Brier Creek?

1 Like

Didn’t Business Journal put out an article recently that DTR developmebt was basically stagnanted? Now that FNB, Peace, and Glenwood are under construction there’s literally not much in the works. That’s it. Every other project was just marketing.

I think that Kane’s Peace project in future phases will be the focus on DT Development for the next 5 years.
That said, there is a significant push in infill housing throughout DT and its periphery.
DT will also likely have a real push for storefront retail in existing real estate over the next 5 years.

I think that saying downtown growth has stagnated is something of a click bate title. The One Glenwood folks are busy going to tower two and possibly three. Kane owns two large chunks of land (Harrington St and 4th ward) and east downtown is infilling with new and modernist homes at a steady clip. There will be climbs and benches on any growth curve, which is normal and fine.

3 Likes

Triangle business journal reporting high end hotel (7 stories, 253 rooms) planned for over looking lake crabtree in Cary

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/04/27/250-room-hotel-project-in-cary-moves-forward.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

3 Likes

That floor plan has me expecting a sleek, modern design lol! Did not expect this to be a dual-branded Hilton Hampton Inn & Suites and Home2 by Hilton

4 Likes

That’s a nice area. 15 minutes to downtown Raleigh, 5 minutes to RDU.
A nice lake with trails all around. Lots of mid-rise housing. Walkable offices nearby.

7 Likes

I would suspect that the hotel is going there specifically because they have a built-in demand from their adjacent business neighbors.

4 Likes

I mean, it looks like dystopian hell to me but, tomAto tomahto.

1 Like

Is that located on Diarrhea Lake? Good god :rofl:

LOL. :poop: :poop: :poop:

Could you explain the reference there? I probably missed some sort of event over the last few years and thus am clueless. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lake Crabtree is contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, a chemical linked to cancer in humans. The PCBs leaked from the former Ward Transformer manufacturing site into the soil, surface and groundwater, eventually migrating to the lake and its tributaries.

No reference on my end, just looks like dookie water

2 Likes

Thanks @TedF, I didn’t want to actually like that news.
Rodger @Jake, I suspected that was what you meant, but remembered my mother-in-law’s terrible GI issues when she visited Raleigh. She blamed it on our lake water, so I wanted to make sure, lol.

1 Like

It’ll fit in perfectly

1 Like

PCBs are also in Crabtree Creek and Reedy Creek Lake - all from the Superfund site at Ward Transformer.

1 Like

I think they are even migrating back up tributaries IIRC.

I think they are also migrating via the water table too, IIRC.