Hypothetical Downtown City Council District

I had an idea about a district that encompasses downtown ever since the city council discussed the idea of a ninth district a week or two ago. Obviously, this is just hypothetical as I don’t think downtown will ever be its own district. In this hypothetical scenario, Im imagining the borders of this district will be the ones shown on Google Maps plus Glenwood South. Do yall think this is an impossible scenario or a likely possibility?

4 Likes

Hopefully it’s an progressive district they come up with a Downtown District to North Hills is an automatic pickup for YIMBYs.

2 Likes

Not enough people but hypothetically an urban corridor district from north hills to downtown south might work.

Oh, I thought that I’d come here and find a nice map suggesting the actual proposed boundary of the district.

2 Likes

Im worried who’s in charge of drawing the maps if it’s the mayor im not worried rest of the council ehh, cause you know Livable Raleigh will be sacred.

Sorry to disappoint :sweat_smile:

Also, Im new here and I saw Melton liked your comment! Does he frequent here often?

I have been visiting more recently. (Also, I didn’t mean to like that comment; I need to be more careful with my fingers when scrolling!)

That said, I like this idea. I’ve brought it up 2x now at Council table when discussing potential election reforms.

10 Likes

To start, it’s amazing to see you here interacting with us! Going back to the topic though, the whole discussion on electoral reforms here is very interesting, especially the prospect of a ninth district. I am a bit confused about the staggered terms idea for individual councilors though but understand why it’s being discussed.

1 Like

I’m now devastated that you didn’t mean to like my comment. :wink:

4 Likes

Odd number of council members being discussed most likely to avoid tie (4-4) votes. Also population growth eventually dilutes the member/resident ratio which increasing the Council member count addresses.

Most local jurisdictions have an odd number of voting members to avoid ties. Rarer systems like Mebane have a non-voting mayor that can break ties if a voting member is absent.

Raleigh is also alone (to my knowledge) with an election system where all members are up for re-election in the same cycle. Most jurisdictions stagger four-year terms such that only half are up for re-election on a two-year cycle with the mayor serving a two-year term and appearing on every two-year ballot.

Advantages include allowing institutional knowledge to build and carry over to the next Council. Also allows a sitting Council member to run for mayor from a “safe seat” halfway through a four-year term and still be on Council if they fail to gain the mayorship.

5 Likes

I liked this one :grin: haha

5 Likes

I see, thanks for the clarification!

When this is all planned out, who draws the election districts I know both sides of the council will be fighting.