Inventions that changed the City

I am working on a series of posters looking at different inventions that changed Cities. What “technologies” or inventions do you think have had the biggest impact on the city?

3 Likes

I guess the big ones would be steel and it’s being used to design a framework for tall buildings, as well as elevators.

4 Likes

Sewer system - think what a city would be without it.

Subway

4 Likes

Air conditioning…

9 Likes

The car

Prestressed Concrete

2 Likes

Electric water pump.

what a fun project. There are so many small or overlooked things that we take for granted that do make modern life, particularly urban life, possible. I’ve got a couple books and articles, including a great article on the history of Air Conditioning, that I’ll post in our reading library when I get to work and have the citations handy.

2 Likes

Yup, being able to go vertical and get people up there is huge!

1 Like

I 100% agree, a lot of time it’s the little things. The water pump, and water tower, are great examples! Also as was mentioned above, sewer…

1 Like

Oh, I hadn’t considered the car. Is that a helpful change or hurtful?

1 Like

For sure! I wonder how many years between refrigeration for industry and AC applications started popping up

Yeah, we would be in a real stinky situation!

There is a book based off of a podcast called the 99% Invisible City. The book is really interesting and goes over some of the most important but overlooked aspects of a city. Go check it out

1 Like

will do, thank you for the recommendation!

I was just about to recommend this book! The 99% Invisible City - 99% Invisible

1 Like

I remember the History Channel had a show about Cities that covered a lot of this stuff. Been at least 10 years. Don’t remember what it was called.

1 Like

All I hear is “located in beautiful… downtown… Oakland, California”

2 Likes

Birds :kick_scooter:

:smirk:

5 Likes

And drones
:flying_saucer:
Imagine a city where no one had aerial views of in progress construction!

3 Likes

Refrigeration (esp. train cars) allowed people to move away from being close to food production sources (I.e. farms) and into cities.

1 Like

The Toilet :toilet: :roll_of_toilet_paper:

4 Likes