ITB New Home Builds

12 Likes

This is awesome, thanks for posting! Quarter mile from my house.

6 Likes

I forget where the Hayes Barton townhome discussion was but I thought this was precious. Well worth a read!

15 Likes

OK thank god, it’s satire. At first I thought this was legit gonna be someone trying to ban garden gnomes, which would be peak HOA-overlord and 100% would not surprise me LMAO

Oh, you can be rest assured that there is a HOA out there that’s banned garden gnomes.

5 Likes

I may need to follow this guy. :rofl:

10 Likes

Pre-zoning (pre-1920s) elite neighborhoods often had a huge variety of housing types… until they were downzoned, at least. The Upper East Side, Rittenhouse Square, the Gold Coast, Nob Hill - these all started with huge detached houses, then filled in with rowhouses and high-rises. It’s the natural progression for places with high land values.

There’s nothing about Hayes Barton that should exempt it from this process, or from the tremendous physical change that’s been wrought on every other corner of Wake County over the past century.

12 Likes

There is also the shadows created by the signs as well. Don’t forget about that! :rofl:

I jog through the neighborhood every day and this spot is, aside from the house on the hill, flat and open and is prime for development. I’d rather see these, which I don’t think are going to be enormous, than another duplex torn down and replaced with SFH. The duplex-to-SFH that continues to annoy me is the 7000 sq ft one on St Mary’s – with Juliet balconies.

9 Likes

This stuff is textbook NIMBY. Wow.

He acknowledges Raleigh needs more apartments and condominiums, but said, “We don’t have to build those densely populated structures in the middle of our neighborhoods. We just don’t have to."

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/08/26/townhouse-uproar-hits-raleigh-hayes-barton.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search

8 Likes

Did I read that right… they will be $2 million townhomes?!

4 Likes

Yes you did. There goes the neighborhood. LOL

5 Likes

Also the quote from the NIMBY threatening that this could happen to any neighborhood in the city…

yah, that’s the point. we can only hope that’s the case!

14 Likes

Finally, he gets it, am I right! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

“I know there’s a problem but I don’t like the solution aesthetically so it should be illegal”. Get over yourself Frank.

9 Likes

i gues it uproar…ive psoted about this before. 17 townhomes,at 2 million per, while not a noticeable traffic issue over a 24 hour period, will look mucho different than the bigguns in the area now. i cant afford to live there ever but as a raleigh native born if i did i would hope and desire a similar build as to whats there already, although they may be gaudy 80 to 100 year old homes with many renovations. its a nice peaceful house area, let it be.

Something I have not heard anyone talk about is how the new plans could actually look really nice. With the courtyard facing the big open grass today I am excited to see what it looks like when they are done. It’s not like the new stuff is 5 stories tall. May actually fit in pretty well.

11 Likes

I live in the area and approve of the townhomes just so people know it is not unanimous

16 Likes

Even I don’t care about this house. Hoping this project is successful.

Fun slide (produced by a conservative think tank, no less!) about property values on adjacent residential streets in Charlotte’s Plaza Midwood neighborhood:

Both streets have plenty of deluxe houses: low-density The Plaza has eight houses above $800K and higher-density Pecan Ave has five, and both streets have $1M houses. But at middle-class price points ($300-$500K), there are just two houses on The Plaza, vs. 50+ on Middle Housing-zoned Pecan Ave next door.

5 Likes