John Chavis Memorial Park

Chavis Park is most likely overshadowed by all the planning and work being done at Dix. Would you consider Chavis Park to be downtown’s park? It’ll certainly look real nice in the coming years.

7 Likes

I was at one of the Central CAC meetings where they talked about this and showed some renderings. Looks really nice!

Your next area to fly over!

1 Like

Chavis Park is outside the downtown element, but it’s close enough to count as a downtown park IMO.
Since you mentioned DT parks, I went to the DT element map, and besides the 2 remaining squares, the only park that will officially be within it will be Devereux Meadows after it’s restored.

2 Likes

I was unable to attend the meeting where they gave a timeline for the beginning of construction.
Does anyone know? The city website says Spring 2019, but I haven’t seen any work so far.
Also the distance from Fayetteville St. and Chavis Park is almost identical to the walk towards the planned Devereux Meadows park. They just don’t seem similar since you are walking towards single family homes and the development of downtown basically ends at Blount St.
I used the Wells Fargo Tower as a starting point.

2 Likes

So of course, it depends on where you are coming from, which park is closer. What would really be cool is to see Dix, Devereux Meadows, and Chavis each have unique features so that everyone participates in each in different ways.

I’m actually looking forward to the Aquatic Center at Chavis. The other two won’t have that.

Bikeshare and scooters would make bouncing between parks much easier than in the past.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget about Pullen Park, the OG! They also have an aquatic center!

1 Like

150-200 ft observation towers at each of the 3 parks would give differing views of skyline and city. Each could have a line of sight to the other observation towers to give a sense of place/scale. Buffered bike boulevards connecting them for looping between them.

5 Likes

Yeah, the city center is actually well positioned with the dispersion of the available parks with Chavis supporting the SE quadrant by foot, Dix serving the SW, and Devereux Meadows eventually serving the north side. Even Pullen supports the far western side and adjacent neighborhoods by foot.

2 Likes

The original timeline said the pool would open this summer. Something tells me it might be slightly later than that :slight_smile:

1 Like