Large Events and Festivals

I believe it! I’m thinking the event parking plan from years past didn’t scale up quite like they expected :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think they used some of the parking lot at PNC last year, but the arena was at full capacity for the Hurricanes game tonight.

Yes you know there should hotel specific zoning. For a large events from Dix to probably the convention center to PNC just unlimited hotels. And Downtown South should be included. As many hotels as possible also I hope the city is still planning those 2 40 story building on there land.

Caught some of the live stream tonight. Looked like a massive crowd. Drake brought out Lil Wayne, which will probably get a lot of publicity. Definitely a great event for the city.

5 Likes

Wow. I heard thumping all the way up near north hills. This isn’t really my type of music. But events like this put Raleigh on the map.

Raleigh will have a gem when Dix is finished. With everyday park features like playgrounds, sports fields, general recreation, and the ability to put on events like this. All within a stones throw from downtown.

I would love to have 1-2 more events like this per year with different types of music. Maybe partner with hopscotch or the bluegrass festival.

15 Likes

As was provided for last year’s event for those staying in downtown hotels or driving in to downtown parking decks there were always multiple school bus vehicles waiting along the Martin Street edge of Moore Square to provide a shuttle service to and from Dix Park.

Ran from about an hour before gates opened until well after things were over. Saw busses still pulling into the square after 1:30 last night. Sometimes as many as a half dozen waiting to go outbound… Line maxed at about a block in length and kept moving as they were loading two busses at a time.

Difference in downtown traffic this weekend was negligible but definitely more people.

8 Likes

They are currently working with developers on those towers, but it takes time. They are still on track for their initial schedule though.

After last night, with J. Cole and (nearly) the whole Dreamville roster, then Drake, Lil Uzi, Lil Wayne, and 21 Savage all sharing the same stage within the same set … this just became the biggest hiphop festival in the world. Next year (and here on out) is going to be absolutely insane.

16 Likes

I mean, I feel you, and I hope you’re right…but if we’re talking sheer size and scale, I don’t think anything is touching Rolling Loud.

Fair enough. But Rolling Loud will now have some major competition.

1 Like

Did anyone hear what the final number was for attendance? I know it was sold out but just curious about the numbers.

Eleventy threve with extra characters

2 Likes

I kept seeing “Dreamville draws over 50,000” but uhhhh yeah, it was a LOT more than that. That crowd looked to be at least 100k…

I think we’ll be up there in due time. Right now, I’d say that Dreamville Fest is moreso on the same tier as Something In The Water or Broccoli Fest, but tbh after this year, I’d say (and I think alot of people will agree) that we’ve surpassed both of those festivals. If Cole can keep this up, we may reach Rolling Loud status (minus all the extra cities of course) sooner than later.

5 Likes

So happy for the city! Great to have a destination festival even as a non-traditional tourist destination.

(And happy for myself I was in Charlotte all weekend away from the crowds :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

4 Likes

Characters!!!

20 Likes

I mean they’re technically correct that it’s “over 50,000” but I’d say double that if not more. A football stadium generally holds ~60k - this looks like at least 2 football stadiums worth of people. Absolutely astonishing. And watching Drake (on the Amazon Prime live-cast) continuously shouting out Raleigh during his set nearly brought tears to my eyes. Usher made a post on his IG the day after his set with a caption praising the crowd and how good their energy was. This thing can only go up from here, when the vibe is that good - bigger and bigger artists are going to start asking J. Cole themselves if they can play his fest.

My wishlist for Dreamville 2024 is: Kendrick Lamar (hard get though), Rapsody (hometown hero, she was here in the [VIP] audience this weekend, and also has a song with Kendrick), The Weeknd, Childish Gambino, Tobe Nwigwe, Lil Uzi (for a full set vs his guest spot last night), Tinashe, A$AP Rocky, and my biggest wish: 50 Cent.

20 Likes

I think Amazon showing it live also gives a huuuge level of credibility to this for the future IMO. Off the top of my head I don’t recall seeing Amazon live broadcasting every other music festival out there…I might be wrong but oh well.

13 Likes

That was only the first day, I’m sure the picture from day 2 will be even more impressive.

Just saw this one floating around online.

19 Likes