Large Events and Festivals

By next Dreamville, we’ll at least have the new hotel in Seaboard Station + the ChikFilA hotel on Dawson open!!!

16 Likes

they might already be sold out to saavy attendees

True, but probably less scattered than Stadium Series attendees. There were still rooms available in downtown the weekend of the game if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

I wonder how many stadium series attendees were local? I’m guessing way more than half.

4 Likes

I’d imagine so! I think both have their own pulls and benefits. Would love to see both continue for many years to come.

1 Like

Holy cow, Hopscotch dramatically upped their game this year. Bit of a dip on Friday, but Saturday is an exceptional lineup.

21 Likes

I didn’t know where to post this. This seems crazy to me, and I’m glad the Brooks family spoke up.

6 Likes

How many murders by gun did we have last year? Can we ban them out of an abundance of caution and respect for the victims’ families?

11 Likes

And without the family’s input…

1 Like

It’s a total copout- they’re citing that they need time to review policies and procedures in order to ensure safety across the board… but they’ve had A YEAR to do that…???

6 Likes

There’s legislation pending and a lawsuit ongoing, zero surprise that there’s not a parade.

2 Likes

This is absolutely ridiculous. And incredibly unpopular. Not sure what is really going on with this.

1 Like

I mean, fair enough, but does the pending legislation and lawsuit legally bar the city from doing the parade this year? I’d think that would be like the first line in the article, if so… I guess it’s more for optics, which I understand, but when the family of the poor victim, themselves, publicly state they disagree with this decision and admit they were never contacted and therefore weren’t even taken into consideration for this decision - that’s baffling…

1 Like

Sounds like the lawyers told them they’d get absolutely taken to the cleaners if anything happened this year.

1 Like

and if anything did happen this year, they should get crucified. But the proper response is inspections and due diligence rather than cancelling the whole thing. But that would be a balanced and thoughtful response, and if there is one thing we know 23 years in, the 21st century is all about over reaction and emotion, rational thought be damned.

3 Likes

It’s safe.
I don’t think it’s right (IMO).

What do other events do from a preparation, inspection, legal/liability perspective? We aren’t forging new territory here. There was rather gross negligence specific to allowing a truck to participate in an event that couldn’t pass an inspection. While fixing that particular issue for this year would be easy, I feel like a lot could have been done to demonstrate considerable more attention to safety and still have the show go on.

I mean even the poor girl’s family doesn’t agree with cancelling the parade, so it’s not “out of respect” for them.

Again, what do other cities do?

3 Likes

I think Raleigh’s decision hurts the family even more than they already are, because the city made assumptions about what the family wanted and those assumptions ended up being wrong - thus forcing the family to make a statement. I feel so bad for them. Really unfortunate decision by Raleigh.

3 Likes

Yup, the city should never have pulled the “out of respect for Hailey’s family and friends” card - that’s awful comms to do that when you don’t know what the people you mentioned are going to say.

Just be honest and say “the lawyers said we’re going to lose millions if anything, even an act of God, happens” and people will understand, if not exactly love it.

3 Likes

City has just offered for the parade to be non-motorized this year. In the spirit of compromise it is said.

6 Likes

Just need some elephants to pull the floats. That should be fine.

4 Likes