Linear Parks & Underused Space

Building on ARTery, and knowing that we are are talking about the heart of Raleigh, it could also be HEARTery.

5 Likes

I am really enjoying this possible name “Raleigh ARTery”. It is one of those words (phrases?) that can be commercialized to say almost anything while keeping Raleigh and Art in the forefront… :thinking: :wink: :hugs: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

So out of the 43 votes sent on that survey:

Central Line and Raleigh Rail Trail each got 30% (13 people), and axisRaleigh got 26% (11 people). As of now, I counted 13 unique people who posted and/or liked the posts mentioning some variation of “Raleigh Artery” (see posts 1, 2, 3, 4).

That means this suggestion would be the clear winner if and only if no one abstained or voted for “something else” with the intent of voting for that option. But that’s not the case -and even if it was, it’s hard to say this site is a representative sample of Raleigh, not to mention how this poll’s ridiculous margins of error would make it statistical garbage, anyways. This means I won’t care much for the exact numbers of votes for each option -but glaringly-obvious trends across them.

And the lesson I’m walking away with? The poll options “Central Line”, “Raleigh Rail Trail”, and “Axis Raleigh” (or variants thereof) plus the last-minute suggestion “Raleigh Artery” (ditto) are all similarly okay names, but there are no breakout winners.

Thanks for the help, y’all! This ambiguity still helps a lot :slight_smile:

6 Likes

FWIW, I would change my vote from Rail Trail to Artery.

6 Likes

Agreed, I would change from Central to Artery.

And I would change mine from AxisRaleigh to Artery

1 Like

Put up a new vote with only those 4 names, and a 5th slot for a write-in. See if any of the 4 are now the clear winner, and then see if any final suggestions come up that are worth exploring further in a final stand-off!

6 Likes

Just as a head’s up in the interests of transparency: I got the memo and I just brought this up with the rest of the team.

I can see why it may feel more “fair” to redo the survey. At the same time, though, there’s some nasty issues that basically boils down to “can we trust these results??” that doesn’t make it as easy as me simply launching another poll.

I’ll be back once we discuss this, though!

2 Likes

Am I the only one who associates the word “axis” with the bad guys in WWII? lol.

6 Likes

One hears that so infrequently these days, but now that you’ve pointed it out . . . boom! Good catch.

I felt the same and didn’t give that one a vote…

1 Like

It did cross my mind, but I voted for it because it was the catchiest sounding. But now that @OakCityDylan came up with Raleigh ARTery, I’m all in on that.

6 Likes

The Artery name is clever, it does have that certain, “je ne sais quoi” punch that the others lack, but what does this trail have to do with art? The name would only make sense to me if we made a commitment to fill it with public art - and really make that a part of its core mission, on equal footing with it just being a trail, in order to deliver on the promise that its name carries.

Now, that actually does sound like a great concept. But public art can be expensive and/or controversial. Should we be making a decision like that now , at this stage in the process, essentially so that the trail can fit a clever name we came up with? Seems like the tail wagging the dog. Let’s think/talk it out.

Maybe public art could be a great hook to help in soliciting donations??

6 Likes

By definition the word fits our use. Making it partially about art is an option, not requirement, but I think a value add and twist to encourage adoption.

7 Likes

I agree. I think the name functions really well without the emphasis on art in the title. I think the occasional (annual month-long?) art installation event would be icing on the cake.

8 Likes

I agree the name works with or with out the art. I like @mike’s idea for an annual art instillation. This would avoid a ton of issues of trying to actually get consensus on public art. Kudo’s to you for that & @OakCityDylan for the name. Course I don’t care if they call it Ralph as long as it gets it built.

9 Likes

Can also have permanent* (*as long as it lasts) painted portions of the walkway!

2 Likes

Just to add an extra data point, Artery is my favorite, and I prefer it stylized as “Artery” as opposed to “ARTery”. ARTery would be a great name for an art festival / series on the Artery though!

9 Likes

How about Steve?

But seriously, Artery does work pretty well, even without the art. (But it would be nice to have some art! Could probably get donations to support that component.)

10 Likes

I’m really liking Atery, too! It has flexibility to emphasize “art” if that can be part of the project, or not if it can’t.

4 Likes