Linear Parks & Underused Space

You’re right. Just thought of it while walking the dog this morning - there is a small clearing that is pretty enticing when you walk by until you see how filthy it is down there. Did go back after work and there only was a trickle of water.

Probably a bit too hasty with the idea

1 Like

When I was in grade school there many years ago, that ditch usually had a small trickle. If we were lucky, the track was closed due to mud, since it sits at the lowest grade. We were definitely told to not cross the fences, and there were frequent playground rumors about drugs found at Davie Street Park. Remember that this was a rock quarry, so the original drainage has likely been altered.

But! It would be a tremendous learning opportunity to have a combined recreation area (locked gates during school use, open gates at other times) and a constructed wetland.

2 Likes

Sharing this video on Atlanta’s Beltline in this thread. @dtraleigh please move if there’s a better place for this:

Interesting perspectives on the good and not so good that have resulted from the BeltLine. It’s expected to be completed in 2030.

5 Likes

I’m not sure how I missed this video, but have recently found out about Atlanta’s beltline. I searched and found that it was discussed a bit on this site, but not too much. Realistically this is something that could be promoted and pushed in Raleigh as it is something that kind of exists already although there are improvements that need to be done. Since Atlanta’s won’t be done until 2030, Raleigh can definitely complete what we have and have something greater.

At what could be it’s biggest section, Raleigh does already have almost 47 miles of a completed loop. Sections do branch off that go into Cary/Umstead, Lake Johnson, and There are a lot of improvements needed as there are sections that are not connected and portions which aren’t exactly safe (such as the section that runs along Falls of Neuse Rd especially at Durant Rd).

Part of the problem I have with the big loop is that it is very nice, but it requires you to run long sections and doesn’t connect much within the loop. Luckily for us, the loop is broken into smaller sections. There are some improvements needed here as well, but it’s the bones of something that could be even greater.

On the south side, there is a connection however from the North side there is not. With the BRT line coming in, I believe there would be a separated multi-use path coming down New Bern which will grant access to downtown from the East Side.

There’s a lot of improvements/suggestions I would make, but from my own personal standpoint, I would love a multi-use pathway along Lake Boone Trail that connects to the greenway. I don’t really care for riding on the sharrow lanes with the speed of traffic. I’ve done it a few times but when me and my significant other went, they weren’t as comfortable. The reason I mention this is to highlight the improvements that affect me directly. I’m sure others are affected differently.

Another issue is that the trail is dark at night which is not fun when the sun goes down earlier during the winter months. For many users that does limit the usage. I would also like to see different types of uses zoned along the greenway. Shelley Lake is a good attraction along the greenway, however a lack of restaurants, cafe’s, or similar is a miss here as I’m sure people would love to picnic or eat at this location. A lot of the area around the greenway is low density housing. Varying the type of zoning would help people use it for reasons other than leisure.

4 Likes

Look up “Artery” in the forum search. Not exactly a beltline/loop, but could have similar impacts to Raleigh as The Beltline in Atlanta. Credit: @orulz

4 Likes

The new greenway masterplan lays a foundation for more trail-oriented development TOD. It envisions three types of trail category including Oak City Trails, which will include additional lighting and access to amenities:

“Where appropriate, adjacent development should provide direct access to/from trails. TOD includes residential, office, retail, and food/beverage services that face adjacent trails for easy access. Ample wayfinding signage is critical to direct local residents or one-time visitors.” see page 68.

For those interested in the Beltline and similar projects I highly recommend Ryan Gravel’s book “Where We Want to Live: Reclaiming Infrastructure for a New Generation of Cities”.

5 Likes

Biking down pitch black greenways from downtown to Centennial after a fun First Friday is still a vivid and kinda cherished memory for me lol. Buzzed, squinting through the chill down the cone of my headlamp in the winter, or dodging frogs in the summer… The trees casting long shadows, dead silent save the rubber on the pavement. Magical.

Not that I disagree that lights would be great for trails, this just kinda sent me back.

5 Likes

it gets a bit odd when you see a broken mirror propped up in front of a tree with an old sleeping bag lying in front of the mirror on the ground 3 yards off the greenway in the woods. still fun in the dark though.

3 Likes

…so very specific :rofl: :rofl:

This sounds really awesome and hopefully it might happen. This section of the Neuse River had been designated for a whitewater park since the 1970s.

In addition to the river features, the project will also encompass an 80-acre park. What will go there will depend on the master plan—and public input—but she foresees anything from ziplines and ropes courses to an amphitheater to a brewpub overlooking the water. Add to that the greenway trail that already flows alongside the river and connects to the Mountains-to-Sea Trail, nearby Forest Ridge Park and Wilkerson Nature Preserve, and you have an “incredible adventure destination,” as Gardner calls it.

Park With Whitewater Features May Be Coming to the Neuse River (raleighmag.com)

17 Likes

That looks awesome! I really hope it happens. So much good stuff in that parks bond!

1 Like

Hmmm, there’s no general “Raleigh Parks” thread, so unsure where else to share this;

JC Raulston Arboretum’s corpse flower “Wolfgang” has bloomed, as of late last night! The bloom is rare, and apparently only lasts for ~2 days, so they’ll be open until 7PM tonight for visitors to come see (and smell!) Wolfgang while it is bloomed! I will be going!

8 Likes

We have both this corpse flower and that century plant at WRAL blooming at the same time. I went to see the century plant on Monday. I’ll likely go back this coming weekend to see it again.

3 Likes

I tuned in to the live discussion about the Corpse Flower plant today. Very interesting stuff! It will be a few years before another is up for viewing, if I understand the life cycle correctly. I’m not sure I’ll get to make it out to this viewing, but this is definitely one of the cooler plants to exist.

Also, one minor correction to ABC 11’s article about the hours of operation: according to J.C. Raulston Arboretum’s website, they’re actually going to be open until 8pm today and tomorrow.

https://jcra.ncsu.edu/

2 Likes

Regrettably, it’s a rough eve for a garden walk…

Never fear to those who missed- I went Wednesday evening and took some pics!

18 Likes

Oh I love that we can have more to do in Raleigh. I always like seeing that hope it get approved.

Hooray! How was the smell? :nose:

2 Likes

Stinky, but didn’t carry very far- had to be close to smell it. Smelled Like roadkill though!

2 Likes

Raleigh needs more random but perfectly placed public squares and parks, big and small:

This park is directly on top of an underground parking deck… it’s possible to grow trees there because of how deep the deck is.

13 Likes