Map-Based Resource?

We could take that data and apply the proper filter. I’ve done a version of it in this post. I would certainly be interested in helping develop something but I’m not sure what exactly people are looking for.

https://dtraleigh.com/2021/12/its-all-about-that-height-in-downtown-raleigh/

3 Likes

Does anyone know where I can find granular population density maps for various cities? Googling has turned up plenty of higher-level maps, but I haven’t been able to find any with enough detail to say, for example, “ah, looking at this map I can tell that Hillsborough St is part of a dense urban corridor”. If not, does the data exist somewhere? I might try making my own

1 Like

Census Blocks might be the best way to go. They don’t have density but you can derive it from the Population and Area attributes.

What you describe would be awesome to have!

1 Like

I’ve found interactive maps like this, which appear to be based on census tracts, but the numbers seem suspect. For instance, it appears to show 0 people per square mile for the block that has both Skyhouse and the Edison Apartments.

2 Likes

It starts as a range from 0 to 12999. Then 13000 to 25999 and so on for population density.

1 Like

If you click on any particular tract it gives the “actual” value.

2 Likes

Says data last updated in 2018. Skyhouse opened in 2015. Probably using 2010 census data would be my guess.

1 Like