Maywood Corridor, Lake Wheeler, Fuller Heights

There’s probably several people on here who should apply…

9 Likes

I appreciate your work in this area! Definitely wish there were actually plans to extend the bike infrastructure all the way, but a sidewalk is a start. Better than nothing. Yes please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist in getting things moving.

LWR & Centennial Pkwy and LWR & Maywood seem like perfect candidate for protected intersections/roundabouts. If we can link up all the bike infrastructure around here, I expect this area would get lots of bike traffic.

5 Likes

Thank you. I think what we really need is a plan for how to treat LWR from Maywood all the way to Tryon. This section of road is required to perform several disparate functions over a relatively short stretch and there is no clear plan for how to deal with all of the transition points. Nor is there any plan for bike/ped improvements throughout the corridor. Additionally, there is a history of having programmed improvement projects along LWR defunded at least twice.

City council is well aware that people in this area are not happy about this set of circumstances. And many of those folks have the ears of city councilors.

7 Likes

Thank you for your work and advocacy for this area!

Sometimes I wish we could humble ourselves and just make things better as quickly and cheaply as possible. Temporary speed bumps on Lake Wheeler road would go a long way for making the bus stops, biking, and walking along this corridor safer immediately

8 Likes

if not both forms of infrastructure, if this is a short distance could a multi-use path suffice here? iow, wider than a sidewalk.

Received my notice for condemnation authorization from the city for my property on Lake Wheeler. The city council meeting to consider the request is on January 17th at 1pm. Nervous to see how much private property the city is going to take for the Lake Wheeler Rd. Improvement project. They have ample room on the park side, so hopefully they don’t try to screw over the residents too bad… not to mention the properties are worth a fortune at this point, since they are recommended for future use 20 stories. Anyone know a good eminent domain attorney?

3 Likes

Presumably you have seen this map?

It looks like it’s mostly not more than a few feet, except for the corner lots.

There actually isn’t as much room on the park side as you might think: there is a major Duke Energy transmission line there, which would be extremely expensive to relocate. Even so, they have mostly put the park-side sidewalk and multinuse path behind or underneath that line, probably to minimize the neighborhood-side property required.

I would definitely recommend a good attorney. They are required to compensate based on market rates, and you should totally get compensated based on 20 story zoning.

4 Likes

My understanding from presentations by city staff is that improvements on the residential side of LWR will only occur within what is already utility and or ROW easement. Look up your property on iMaps and you will get an idea of how far the ROW easement extends onto your property. It’s going to feel like a lot of property is being “taken” because the houses along this section are already very close to the road, but I’m near certain that there is no planned encroachment beyond existing ROW.

You can confirm this with the city staff listed on the LWR improvement project page.

3 Likes

If they were only going to work within the city’s right of way, then how come she received a condemnation letter? That doesn’t make sense to me.
That said, and depending on how much land is lost, I’d think that the road improvements will elevate the value of her remaining land.

3 Likes

Does appear that very little additional right-of-way (R/W) is needed on the south (residential) side to contain the improvements.

However the top of slope (dashed line with “C” label) for the cut bank encroaches beyond the R/W for some properties. Temporary construction easements (go away after construction is completed) and some permanent slope easements will be required.

5 Likes

@John I’m no expert on this - just reporting information previously shared by city staff. Looking more closely at the map that @TDR shared it looks like most of the improvements are within the existing ROW, but there is an orange line marked E that delineates a proposed easement. Maybe that is the reason for the condemnation letter? I would think/hope that some sort of communication from the city would be required whenever engaging in this type of project involving ROW work and easements.

2 Likes

Also not an attorney but from past experience serving as an agent for a town/NCDOT on a similar road improvement project can confirm that easements can be acquired by eminent domain (condemnation). Quick research also confirms this to be true for NC.

Managed to settle all 54 of my parcels except one vacant tract where so many scattered heirs made it easier to just condemn and figure out who to pay later. But it wasn’t by paying some any more as that news would have been spread throughout the neighborhood by sunset. :joy:

Instead addressed each parcel individually for impact with some getting some hardscape and/or softscape treatments across their frontage. Some got low or high retaining walls to preserve front yard area. Landscaping, including trees, was also a mitigation option. But then that project had some funds to do such things and it was only needed for just a few of the higher-elevation lots.

4 Likes

I thought the city’s ROW was plenty of room too and was surprised by the letter. I personally don’t care how much they take as long as I’m compensated appropriately. It will affect other residents more than me though, since I don’t live on the property. Most people who live there rent so they will lose their yard and see no financial gain.

The future development of the area is what’s driving the land value so while the road project is a positive it doesn’t really impact the “best use” value of the property. If the property were to be sold for a single family home it would have an an impact on the value, but it’ll sell to a developer.

1 Like

Thank you, I had not seen the map.

Wow, the construction limits are essentially at people’s front doors. I’m honestly shocked. My entire driveway is within their construction limits.

1 Like

If the city hadn’t bought the Dix property the homes on Lake Wheeler would be worth significantly less than they are today. The increase in value was brought by a shared Raleigh tax base that overpaid for Dix park from the NC government. Asking that same taxpayer to then highly compensate in addition to the windfall they have already given is a unique position. But alas, it’s genius government - so I’d imagine they will overpay on already inflated values to avoid lawsuits.

Regardless, in the long run, the city will be better off tearing down those single family homes and building 20-40 story buildings with hundreds of residents per acre and hopefully one day actually activating this park (without requiring a festival)…

6 Likes

Compensation for a slope easement is not going to be a significant amount of money.

Amount of property owned is not reduced. Setbacks are not reduced. Property afterward can be developed in same manner as today.

Easement holder has the right to grade that slope easement area. However owner might even be able to later change that grade including installing vertical transition walls. Depends on the easement language.

Basically compensating difference in property value with the easement compared to the value without which is going to be negligible since full utility remains.

1 Like

Ah, well simple enough… So effectively nothing is changed and the purpose of this being they can make the private property level with the city owned property for road/sidewalk/etc improvements?

The ol’ slope easement and eminent domain confusion… classic! Learned something new today…

1 Like

Are you assuming that these are just slope easements or do you know that for a fact? In the meeting the city said they would be negotiating new right of way, temporary and permanent easements for the project.

Yes, it is changing. Maybe not noticeable to you but very much so for the people that are loosing a large portion of their already small front yards and will have construction equipment outside their front doors for years.

Also, the city will be negotiating new right of way, temporary and permanent easement agreements with property owners through September of this year.

1 Like