Maywood Corridor, Lake Wheeler, Fuller Heights

I’m one of the neighbors in this area; this rezoning directly borders me. One of the things that’s been hard to visualize without a developer or plans attached is the step down from 12 stories to single family.

Is there a transition like this anywhere in the area now? I drove around downtown but most of the higher buildings tend to border 5-7 story buildings.

1 Like

Hey - I was in a similar position on a recent rezoning. I learned A TON. If you want to chat, I’d be happy to share what helped us find a win/win through buffers and transitions.

If you want to know what 7 stories feels like directly across the street from a shotgun house, check out the Platform apartments under construction at W Cabarrus and Dupont.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! That’s not too far from here and going up fast. I think 7 is a lot different from 12. Most of my neighbors see 7 stories as the ideal height, at least for street frontage here.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out how to PM you. Let me know what a good way to reach you is.

Click on anyone’s profile icon (my face for instance) and their should be a “message” option. Use that for private messages.

7 Likes

The Maywood mega-rezoning is now set for a public hearing on 1/3/23

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2086?u=oakcityyimby

1 Like

After the election is over… :yum:

1 Like

Deferred to 1/24

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2167?u=oakcityyimby

General question about the Lake Wheeler Improvement Project, is anyone aware of any plans to actually connect the various Greenways/bike infrastructure near the intersection of Lake Wheeler Rd/Centennial Pkwy? The sudden “end” of the Centennial Bikeway Connector before it hits Lake Wheeler Rd. always struck me as a little odd (or lazy), but with the excellent new bike infrastructure coming down Lake Wheeler Rd. to Maywood Ave. (which already has painted lanes!), it seems like a no-brainer to connect these various endpoints.

11 Likes

It looks like yes… I’m not sure if you’ve seen this link, but it’s pretty awesome click me!

9 Likes

A sidewalk is going in along Lake Wheeler to connect the Walnut Creek greenway to Maywood. That sidewalk is part of a larger sidewalk project on Maywood. Looks like that project is currently out for bids, or will be soon.

The other needed connection you highlight (Centennial bikeway to Lake Wheeler) is less clear. I am on the BPAC and am paying very close attention to this corridor. I live in the area.

BPAC is also advocating for a more ped/bike friendly treatment of the LWR/Maywood intersection. We’d prefer another roundabout there instead of the signalized intersection currently proposed.

I will share that the city recently lost our Bike & Pedestrian program coordinator. I’m not sure if the position will be filled as is, or if there will be some sort of restructuring. Losing a person in this type of role results in all sorts of project delays.

13 Likes

There’s probably several people on here who should apply…

9 Likes

I appreciate your work in this area! Definitely wish there were actually plans to extend the bike infrastructure all the way, but a sidewalk is a start. Better than nothing. Yes please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist in getting things moving.

LWR & Centennial Pkwy and LWR & Maywood seem like perfect candidate for protected intersections/roundabouts. If we can link up all the bike infrastructure around here, I expect this area would get lots of bike traffic.

5 Likes

Thank you. I think what we really need is a plan for how to treat LWR from Maywood all the way to Tryon. This section of road is required to perform several disparate functions over a relatively short stretch and there is no clear plan for how to deal with all of the transition points. Nor is there any plan for bike/ped improvements throughout the corridor. Additionally, there is a history of having programmed improvement projects along LWR defunded at least twice.

City council is well aware that people in this area are not happy about this set of circumstances. And many of those folks have the ears of city councilors.

7 Likes

Thank you for your work and advocacy for this area!

Sometimes I wish we could humble ourselves and just make things better as quickly and cheaply as possible. Temporary speed bumps on Lake Wheeler road would go a long way for making the bus stops, biking, and walking along this corridor safer immediately

8 Likes

if not both forms of infrastructure, if this is a short distance could a multi-use path suffice here? iow, wider than a sidewalk.

Received my notice for condemnation authorization from the city for my property on Lake Wheeler. The city council meeting to consider the request is on January 17th at 1pm. Nervous to see how much private property the city is going to take for the Lake Wheeler Rd. Improvement project. They have ample room on the park side, so hopefully they don’t try to screw over the residents too bad… not to mention the properties are worth a fortune at this point, since they are recommended for future use 20 stories. Anyone know a good eminent domain attorney?

3 Likes

Presumably you have seen this map?

It looks like it’s mostly not more than a few feet, except for the corner lots.

There actually isn’t as much room on the park side as you might think: there is a major Duke Energy transmission line there, which would be extremely expensive to relocate. Even so, they have mostly put the park-side sidewalk and multinuse path behind or underneath that line, probably to minimize the neighborhood-side property required.

I would definitely recommend a good attorney. They are required to compensate based on market rates, and you should totally get compensated based on 20 story zoning.

4 Likes

My understanding from presentations by city staff is that improvements on the residential side of LWR will only occur within what is already utility and or ROW easement. Look up your property on iMaps and you will get an idea of how far the ROW easement extends onto your property. It’s going to feel like a lot of property is being “taken” because the houses along this section are already very close to the road, but I’m near certain that there is no planned encroachment beyond existing ROW.

You can confirm this with the city staff listed on the LWR improvement project page.

3 Likes