Maywood Corridor, Lake Wheeler, Fuller Heights

I’m assuming the building was leased back to the former owners / operators of the restaurant.Could be wrong though :man_shrugging:

What is this screenshot from? I know you can get ownership information from the county website, but it’s tedious to check multiple addresses. I’d love to see the Fuller Heights neighborhood ownership. Curious if numerous properties are owned by the same person/entity at this point. It’d be interesting to see IF there was someone trying to buy up land and develop there already.

1 Like

Probably imaps:

https://maps.raleighnc.gov/iMAPS/

2 Likes

Have known the Earp family for years, and they worked hard to rebuild after the business was destroyed by the 2011 tornado.

Will be interested to see what happens, as I figured the other Earp’s Seafood on Capital would have been bulldozed first with the gateway plan up there.

2 Likes

Definitely was damaged by the tornado in April 16, 2011… was it also damaged by Hurricane Floyd? I was working in Cary but lived in North Raleigh back in 1999.

My bad. It was the 2011 tornado. (I should remember as my house got poked by a 60 Ft poplar tree by the same line of tornados as it passed directly overhead.)

1 Like

There are a few landlord owners that own many Fuller Heights properties. I’d guess that owner occupied properties are maybe about 30%-40% of the neighborhood, if that.

The builder who built Rosengarten Park, Dorothea Gardens, and now Caraleigh Commons has purchased a few properties along Lake Wheeler directly across from Dix.

2 Likes

It’s a shame what people are paying for those matchboxes. But to each his own.

Can someone change the title to Maywood?

3 Likes

They are new. No roaches, no crappy plumbing, no roof leaks except those covered under warranty, no jerryrigged HVAC systems, single pane, stuck windows, no aluminum wiring, no pink tile… Expensive? Relative to what you place value on.

Oh yeah. That sucked. I lived at Caraleigh Mills when that thing hit. Yikes. I was going to take a nap but instead went to get coffee. I came home to bricks on my pillow. Y’all would have missed out on a bunch of historic rants.

2 Likes

Saw this on Raleigh Architecture Co instagram. 3 townhomes. Looks like across the street from Earp’s (address 218 Maywood)

6 Likes

Ruh roh. I like the design of those projects a lot, but Lake Wheeler should be getting some mid/high-rises fronting Dix instead of townhomes. Hopefully that builder will diversify it’s stock.

Those are cool, but don’t think I’d want to be right on top of S. Saunders St. I’ve lived near here for 22 years and never thought I’d see this kind of growth and development. The house behind the townhomes sold for $420k last year. That still amazes me.

This area remains far from walkable or even pedestrian friendly. My biggest hope is that development in this corridor brings greater demand for walkability and effective transit. Sure is a lot of asphalt in that picture.

4 Likes

Even just the addition of buildings closer to the curb will have a minor traffic-calming effect on Saunders, but overall I agree, it’s way too auto-oriented either way.

2 Likes

He has plans to build townhouses at the corner of Saunders and Dorothea (where the burned it sounds are now), and I think a few lots at Caraleigh are supposed to be multi unit buildings. Maybe he’s planning to level up on Lake Wheeler.

1 Like

Yeah, Lake Wheeler should be more of a Central Park West with regards to height and density.

3 Likes

We actually almost bought a rental property in Fuller Heights a month ago, right off Lake Wheeler Rd. Tiny little place listed for $250k. We knew it was over priced and thought we’d offer $220k but didn’t. I noticed the ask dropped to $245k then a few days later showed up as contract pending for $212k. :thinking: DAMMIT! Now I’m wondering if it was part of this larger strategy to buy up land there.

4 Likes

I know which place you’re talking about! It looks like it was purchased by a local attorney. There was another property in the neighborhood for sale at the same time for about $150k, but it needed a lot of work to be livable.

A few years ago a friend was interested in a property a few doors down on Lake Wheeler. She discovered a lot of unpermitted work, including a shed turned into an ADU type structure (this kind of stuff is very common in this neighborhood). She passed, and the property was “sold” for above asking price to an LLC that we discovered was somehow related to the seller. Super sketch.

An example of probably unpermitted additions is this beauty, one of many properties owned by the same landlord.

Investors are aggressively soliciting property owners in this area.

5 Likes

I’ve lived across from Mount Hope Cemetery for over 10 years. I’m still surprised at the changes. There will be 3 townhomes on Maywood/S Saunders, the lot is barely a .25 acre.

The landlords who own the properties, bought them for cheap over the last 20-30 years. I have no qualms with them. They bought and have made money I’m glad I got my home, as a foreclosure for a song back in 2008.

The area is changing and there is a lot of work that needs to be done. Hopefully the city will have plans If the cemetery is any indication, the city is engaged. They have been renovating the cemetery. Removed a 10’ chain link fence that had barbed wire on top. Repairing building, landscaping and graves that were damaged in the past. I still remember all the huge trees that were toppled by the tornado. I was home that day and ended up in tub. Lol. Got new roof, French doors, and deck out of it. I was lucky.

8 Likes