Maywood Corridor, Lake Wheeler, Fuller Heights

Today’s TBJ has a article concerning a developer may build a 12 story apartment complex , affordable
housing at 1414 S . Sanders St . , where Earp’s Seafood use to be .

4 Likes

I know someone adjacent to the site and they said 2 or 3 houses on Maywood will bite the dust too. Apparently would have retail but no info on layout of materials. I have my doubts it’ll be quality on either count. Actually I think she said it’d be set back from Maywood with a parking lot between the street and building but don’t hold me to that just yet.

1 Like

You can see the survey stakes on the properties behind Earps. At least that’s what I think it is or perhaps the City is planning sidewalks all the way down Maywood as there are stakes scattered further down the street I noticed.

1 Like

It’s probably the sidewalk project: https://www.raleighnc.gov/projects/content/PWksDesignConst/Articles/SidewalkProjects.html

Resuscitating this old thread because it’s now very relevant - huge rezoning of the entire north side of Maywood and a couple other blocks north to CX-20 is set to go before the Planning Commission Committee today:

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2035?u=oakcityyimby

13 Likes

Wondering if Baker is going through this to potentially increase property values before selling, or if they intend to go into the development business. 30 acres is a big rezoning.

Seeing the steamrollers firing up.

1 Like

Now set for the committee on 10/11

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2041?u=oakcityyimby

2 Likes

A reminder that this rezoning seems to set a maximum of 9000 residential units for this 30 acre area

1 Like

300/acre seems good. Is it?

2 Likes

Skyhouse has 328 units located on a 0.68 acre tract (482 units/acre).

However parking occurs in a 9-level deck shared with Edison apts. and others with 400 or so spaces allocated to Skyhouse. That deck is on a 1.2 acre tract.

Add a third of that deck acreage to the Skyhouse tract and the composite 1.1 acres or so yields about 300 units per acre.

2 Likes

9000 units on that total parcel would be huge. That has the potential to have more total residents than all of downtown proper combined at 755 total acres currently.

7 Likes

From the neighborhood meeting…

1. Participant discussed neighbors have no idea that this is going on. A twenty story building will block light and make it dangerous for her daughter to walk to and from or even stand at the bus stop.
  1. Participant discussed his small child is having trouble sleeping because he is afraid his house will be torn down.
1 Like

Ah, so we are at the part where they blame it on the children. Sound like lovely parents.

4 Likes

Oh lord! The drama.
So, participant 45 is scaring the bejesus out of his kid and then blaming others? Ya think his small child is reading the news daily?

8 Likes

37 cracks me up. Because everyone knows bus stops in cities are basically monster truck rallies. It’s a miracle anyone gets onto the bus alive. Just cars ramping onto the sidewalk every 20 minutes because of the dark shadows blocking their sight.

6 Likes

Well, 45’s child may be right if their family is renting the home.

In theory yes, but any rational adult, especially one being a parent, should have the ability to speak with a level of reassurance they have things under control and will figure it out.

But I have a feeling since they chose to make such a ridiculous statement and are stupid enough to tell a small child that, they are neither rational or have things under control.

5 Likes

For a different perspective about the purported child’s fear thing, as someone who grew up in an extremely low income household, I experienced a lot of anxiety during the 2008 recession, deeply afraid my mom would lose our house and we’d become homeless. I was in middle school during that period and had a lot of nightmares surrounding the prospect.

Most children aren’t completely oblivious to the grinding of the “real world”, just saying.

His house might not get torn down, but his family could very well get displaced in the not-so-distant-future depending on where they live in the immediate area. If it’s a concern for the parents, I’m sure the child has overheard them expressing their own fears about the rapidly changing landscape and future plans for this corridor.
I don’t think the concerns about being displaced should be mocked or dismissed as such.

I don’t live on/adjacent to Maywood, but I do live off Lake Wheeler just up the road from all of this.
While my landlord is in a GREAT position to benefit from all the improvements and collective hot bed ParkSouth/S. Saunders/Dix/Maywood/DTS developments will have on this whole area [immediately South of Downtown], as a renter, I am not in the same position to benefit. Despite being pro-development, I also can’t escape the natural fear swift change like this can bring and question the impact all of this may have on me getting priced out of this area faster than anticipated.

25 Likes

Very well stated, life is never so black & white. I, too, am very pro-growth and yet very anti-redevelopment of my specific cheap/oldschool apartment building hahaha.
All that said, Mr./Mrs. 37’s concerns about a building “blocking light” and - somehow - causing “danger” walking to school are preposterous :rofl:

3 Likes