Moore Square

I also noticed on my drive to work, what appears to be similar sidewalk upgrades for the Moore Square magnet Middle School on Person St, as well.

Two blocks south of Moore Square I noticed this older church is open for lease.
It would be nice to see this re-purposed into a small restaurant or bar.

Also the sidewalk and curb work that appears almost complete on the eastern side of Moore square looks fantastic. Nice work extending the curb into the street on every corner as well as in the middle of the road near the food shelter.

1 Like

I too want the Homeless get the Assistance that they need and be part of the community, finding a safe…clean…decent…and affordable place to live, better job opportunities, and a quality of life that they deserve just as much as You and Me. We as a community can do that and have our DTR. I have not heard of anything of the Raleigh Rescue Mission, but if that is the case, let it be at a place where they can have access to Bus transportation to medical facilities…stores…churches…or just back in forth to where they stay at. Note : found the article on the news and observer of Oak City Outreach Center. amazing, I do hope that when once built and finished, that the Homeless get the much needed services they receive. ( 2019 )

This church was the center of a huge disagreement about 4 years ago. The folks behind Bida Manda were actually looking at the space to put something before Bhavana came to be. The owner went through an arduous process to get it rezoned for a restaurant and actually put in the rezkning request that it wouldn’t become a bar, to help appease some of the neighborhood. Ahh what could have been.

Different old church. This one pictured above is 510 S Person. Previous one was 501 S Person. (across the street)

You’re totally right. I lived next to and across from both of them for so long that they merged together in my brain. That building was always a hair salon or a tattoo parlor. The current owner added that faux stone stuff a while back. I’m not sure that it was ever a church…or maybe it was.

progress update…

5 Likes

Nice! I came to share that I saw Athis is on track for April.

3 Likes

I am sure that this is a strange question, but what does Red Hat have to do with this project? I noticed there logo on the plastic covering the site…:thinking:

I think they sponsored the art on the fences.

1 Like

11 Likes

Wow…I almost didn’t recognize it. Starting to look like my thoughts of what a “city” park should resemble. Thank you for posting!..:sunglasses:

I’m really glad to see they kept as many trees as they did. I was worried the square would be totally scalped.

3 Likes

Does anyone know the zoning of these plots around Moore Sq?

Would be to the North East side of that recent pic. With the 7ish (?) story Federal Building framing it, I could definitely see some taller (10-20 story) buildings lining this, tapering down to the Eastern half/ Lincoln apts Block

1 Like

Both of the parcels highlighted in red (plus the other parcels that border Moore Square) are currently zoned for 20. The eastern third of the block is zoned for 12.

3 Likes

Perfect. I can imagine SECU sized (and hopefully looking) buildings on the side directly facing the park over Person. Would dramatically extend the city skyline too. And if we keep the pattern going, one of those builds will be called “One Person” or something.

4 Likes

For future reference, you can look at an overlay of zoning in iMaps by turning on the Zoning layer.

1 Like

Kiosk really coming together.

7 Likes

Super cool. Is that a butterfly roofline on that little building? It’s hard to tell from the photo, but I hope that it is. Frankly, Raleigh has a rather rich history of mid-century design, and buildings like this honor that history and bring it into this millennium.

1 Like

A little more on the blog.

https://dtraleigh.com/2018/12/checking-in-on-moore-square/

4 Likes