Municipal Services and Safety in DTR

The city wants to find a “more appropriate” location for the bins, said Michael Moore, the city’s transportation director.

It was 100% the bank and mostly about what it could become more than what it was.

2 Likes

So much for Raleigh being innovative even once. Someone complained, end of that…

5 Likes

NIMBYS :exploding_head:

1 Like

In that case, I’d like to complain about the bank. It’s an ugly building and should be replaced by a 40-story tower. So can we end their “pilot” program that has gone on for too long?
:upside_down_face:

11 Likes

That is exactly what I was going to say. That M&F bank lot is LOOOOONG overdue to be redeveloped. Hopefully there’s movement on it after 121 Fayetteville is built next door.

2 Likes

Not that I want the bank to be gone, but that property they’re sitting on has to be worth a fortune. Would love to see them work out something like Dram & Draught did and be able to move to a location very nearby while turning some profit off of their current location.

This is ridiculous. One business, ONE, complained and they’re pulling the plug. You can’t run a city like this.

6 Likes

Now WRAL has posted an article that I’m sure they made up without direct quotes from anyone.
“City officials said Tuesday that they are halting a pilot project in downtown Raleigh using an underground garbage collection system after concerns about public health, vermin and odors were raised.”
-Seriously rats… This system was specifically designed to eliminate or greatly reduce any rats or smell.
But rats can pick through the plastic cans that originally lined the street. I’m having a hard time understanding how 1 business that doesn’t serve food can stop this while numerous business who serve food specifically requested the old system be eliminated.
The article then goes on to say:
“The city will stop using the underground system on Aug. 25, and Joseph said it will take about 30 days for crews to dig up the containers and repave the area.”
Amazing!

2 Likes

Off topic but you reminded me of an old post from 2010 where I looked at the cost of surface parking lots including the six spaces next to M&F Bank. From the post:

The last lot I want to point out is the six, yes only six, space lot at the corner of Hargett and Wilmington Streets having a value of $255,390, shown in the top photo at the beginning of this post. This is a perfect example where the space is worth more than most of the cars that sit in them, around $42,000 per space!

Let’s take a look now. Account Summary - 0026258

Assessed value is at $718,081 which comes to $119,680.16 per space.

9 Likes

That is absolute horse doo-doo. One business complains and they are digging them up? These things are used in lots of places across europe. Surely they found a way to deal with the rats & vermin.

I’m curious if the city even has a dialogue with the 1 complaint they receive or just throw their hands up.
Because these lining the streets everywhere in front of places to eat is terrible.
These specifically bring “public health, vermin and odors” the bank complained about, not the new ones.

The bank doesn’t have a window or side entrance that even faces the new cans.

5 Likes

The Twitterverse is up in arms over this. Slims House of Swank and Briggs Hardware (that I know of) have voiced their support of the Molok pilot in the last 24 hours.

There are plenty more.

8 Likes

Word on the street is it was actually the rats and vermin complaining about the Molok system. They want their easy-access green and blue carts back.

7 Likes

Heard today they’ll be removing these end of August as of right now. I was told to reach to the solid waste director (Stan.Joseph@raleighnc.gov) - I’d also cc council. Seems to me this is a much better solution than the roll away trash carts :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

LOL. I mean, let’s be honest, downtown has mice. I hope that’s not a surprise to anyone. I’ve seen them running across the paths in Nash Square, you can watch them come in and out of the water grates.

1 Like

The optics of what you’re saying have me scurrying to find my pearls.

3 Likes

Done! Sent them an email. I kind of made it sound like a complaint so I except them to bounce back soon. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I wonder how many actual complaints were received. People don’t like change, and it sounds like the bank’s customers may just be reacting to change. I can’t see how this system would affect bank customers in any way more than anyone else walking down the sidewalk.

The worst part of this is that the pilot was supposed to run for a full year, and the city is now spending money to dig them up after just three months. Seems like a waste of money, so I’d like the complaints quantified to see if it’s really worth the cost after such a short time.

3 Likes

Is it possible that the rats are chewing thru the bags that line the receptacles? That could be a potential issue, but it doesn’t sound like that’s the actual problem here.

Leo, I really appreciate your feedback on this. The City is still committed to implementing innovative tools and practices into our trash and recycling collection systems. Especially regarding concerns identified in the downtown area with carts and bins on the sidewalks. We will be researching this project based on the results of the pilot before moving forward with exploring other alternatives. We are confident we will find the solution to sustain a clean, green and vibrant downtown area.

Stan Joseph

1 Like