Municipal Services and Safety in DTR

I have been wondering this for a while. Maybe we could send a volunteer on a stakeout to catch someone in the act.

2 Likes

Iā€™d assume someone could bring a cart out with a few garbage bags and toss them in. Seems easy enough, and way better than the stinking collections of plastic trash bins everywhere

2 Likes

They actually look better than I thought they would when seen up close and in personā€¦

7 Likes

I took a similar photo the other day. I think that I prefer a uniform wood wrap on the containers. I think that uniformity will visually diminish the impact, and the wood will relate to the environment more.

1 Like

Since DTR has a whole lot of government going on, for anyone that is interested in checking out the behind-the-scenes tour, I highly recommend the Raleigh Neighborhood College. Registration is open now for the Fall.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/services/content/CommServices/Articles/NeighborhoodCollege.html

3 Likes

Meant to post this earlier. Saw these in a small town in Switzerland.

9 Likes

Yep, I took this photo in Zermatt, Switzerland.

5 Likes

ā€œWhy do all these Americans keep taking pictures of our garbage?ā€ ā€” some Swiss Miss prolly

4 Likes

:thinking:

City to Pause Pilot Program for Underground Trash Collection System

Earlier this summer, the City of Raleigh began installing a new and innovative underground trash collection system at the corner of Wilmington and Hargett streets. This afternoon, Solid Waste Director Stan Joseph and Transportation Director Michael Moore will be available to discuss the status of the pilot program.

1 Like

What? Does that mean they are going back, or just not installing new? Very strange.

If itā€™s a true pilot program, it has to have some sort of analysis phase that would precede deployment after the pilot was proven effective.

2 Likes

But ā€œpauseā€ seems to imply stopping a previously expected process that would have otherwise continued for some period of time (pilot phase).

2 Likes

ā€œ Odors, opticsā€ are to blame. This TBJ article says ā€œhaultā€.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article233955807.html

2 Likes

Well . . . I canā€™t see how optics are a negative, comparatively, lol. Surprised odors are worse, though thatā€™s why you test. Both issues seem solvable - though in the end you are still going to have something sticking out of the ground along the street.
I hope they will give a long - and wider go - personally I think its a good project and a solution to the dumpster problem.

5 Likes

People in Raleigh just like to complain about things without critical thinking. The old method was way worse.

8 Likes

I wonder how many people even noticed the old way. So many people just come into downtown occasionally and probably arenā€™t going to notice the same style garbage cans they have at home, strewn all about the sidewalks; but they see these big hulking things that look different and are taking up precious space for their cars, what is one to do but clutch their pearls?

2 Likes

Seems it was business owners that complained and Empire Eats restaurants are the closest arenā€™t they? Iā€™ve been by those several times and never noticed even the slightest aroma. :man_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

Donā€™t know why they decided to pilot these in the summer. I still donā€™t understand how they work exactly. Do people just carry their bags of trash out to them? Do they roll the carts out and dump them?
Sure seems nicer than crowding the already crowded sidewalks with rolling tubs of garbage.

2 Likes

Article says Empire had no issue, worked for them. It was the M&F Bank that complained.

Seems too little time has gone by to pull it already. A true pilot would have been 6 months at least. Maybe you only use half the cans while you figure out a way to deal with the smell. Disappointing cause the old way of having cans all over the sidewalks smelled also.

5 Likes

Are they seriously going to pull them out? Thatā€™s ridiculous. They have been using them a month? At least 6 months I agree. emphasized text

1 Like