Nash Square Apartments at Dawson/Martin

…which is literally the case with the old Goodnight’s building, currently. 100 year old building, demolished for 6-story apartments that absolutely could’ve been building around it (or at VERY LEAST saving the facade) - and yet the entire site now sits completely abandoned, absolutely zero construction or even prep has taken place since the demolition… absolutely infuriating.

15 Likes

That one is a killer. A much more interesting existing building torn down for a less interesting plan that they proceeded to not actually build. Brutal.

10 Likes

I do think the city should take action against those kinds of developers. Either sh!t or get off the pot, and if you already demo’d an historic building before you get off said pot - you should be sued.

What can they really do though? After the fact I imagine not much, right? Can they put in some conditions as part of the re-zoning or project approval?

3 Likes

Better historic protections. The ones we have seem more about protecting NIMBY neighborhoods on the edge of downtown rather than the most vulnerable and historically significant buildings in downtown.

Goodnight’s never should’ve been on the chopping block to begin with. The empty part of the parcel was more than enough for any developer to get their hopes and dreams with.

19 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

The historic protections available to individual buildings that everyone loves are the exact same historic protections for “NIMBY neighborhoods on the edge of downtown” - all of them are regulated through the Certificate of Appropriateness process. All of the buildings that everyone is bummed about were on landmark “wish lists” - but you have to have willing property owners to be designated. City Council has the authority to designate landmarks/historic districts without the consent of property owners - but they’ve never had the chutzpah or political will to do that. Even then, if a property owner wants to tear down a designated historic landmark or a building in a “NIMBY neighborhood on the edge of downtown,” the most that state enabling legislation allows cities to implement is a one year demolition delay. That’s it.

City Council could negotiate/require protections in exchange for concessions/bonuses during the rezoning process - like we weren’t a withered Rust Belt city begging for private development to notice us - but they choose not to. Even if a landmark building or neighborhood is locally designated, they’ve shown an abundant willingness to toss that out when push comes to shove - so even those “historic protections” don’t really mean much. While the state legislature throttles the extent of what municipalities are able to do, ultimately the buck mostly stops at Council’s table.

11 Likes

Berkley’s moving out in November but does that mean this tower will start construction soon after? They haven’t passed their ASR yet but the most recently ASR review submitted the issue list is pretty small.

Fingers crossed for a 2024 construction start date?

Also, the tower after the 10th floor will not be square but L shaped:

22 Likes

This tower should be next to be built, hopefully construction will start in 2024.

21 Likes

Can I nominate the Oct. meet up to be at Berkeley?

10 Likes

I second that.

Can we do a rooftop one this summer? Maybe Residence Inn or something? Gotta check out the new views. Even Wye Hill

8 Likes

I’d like to nominate Key West. kthx

4 Likes

You’ve got airfare/tour bus covered, right?

It’s still Hurricane Season.

3 Likes

Hearing Berkeley may be moving into the old Fiction Kitchen space.

24 Likes

Hopefully it has not run into a major snag. The lastest on the city’s website (entry from 5/4) indicates “Not passed”. I was not sure how to find out additonal info, if possible.

I dug a little deeper and found the Plan Corrections Report and it has a ton of line items to addresss. No sure if that is typical or not. You’ll need to donwload the PDF attachment to review.

2 Likes

Hell yeah Brotha. Also - Go Bills!

1 Like

To my untrained eye it doesn’t look like an unusually high number of corrections for a project of this size and complexity.

Well hopefully that is good news then for those that are onboard for this project.

1 Like