NCAE "block" - Salisbury Square

Well, I just looked it up, and the NC Assn of Educators does own their land like the Chamber of Commerce does. I’d think that both of them would be shopping their properties, at least casually/informally. They have to know the value of the land they are sitting on, and both parcels are DX20.

4 Likes

I was going to Post a new topic but I will put it here instead, I was wondering about of there are any plans to connect City Plaza to the City Gateway project.I haven’t heard much about this topic in a while. the parking lot in front of Duke performing arts center, that can turn into a park-like plaza with a fountain at its center. But as far as the city gateway project itself, I haven’t heard much of anything. https://www.citygatewayraleigh.com

1 Like

This has always been an odd one to me. I remember when the renderings first came out the article made it sound like they were very close to breaking ground. Sounded like they already had one tenant and were lining more up. And since then not a peep. Still can’t figure it out as a good portion of the building was already lined up to be a school and obviously there is an office space need. Why hasn’t it got off the ground? Seems completely dead now.

2 Likes

Just by glancing through the website (and actually reading what it says there), it seems like they’re still looking for tenants. Maybe they can’t build it until they have more leases inked in?

2 Likes

Well, City Plaza was a public project but City Gateway is private. The only thing they have in common is the word ‘city’ in the name. Hopefully the NCAE and chamber of commerce buildings will get redeveloped and the pedestrian route between the two ‘cities’ will be good, though.

5 Likes

Nothing yet as far as the “City Gateway” project. ( :pensive::pensive::thinking::disappointed: would be a great spot to put up a 40 story Tower there

3 Likes

( yarn ) :yawning_face: just an old saying, “action speak louder that words” looks like another project bite the dust.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want one developer to do that all on their own anyhow, too high a chance it would all be some uniform shitty style.

2 Likes

Wasn’t this proposed years ago? There’s a rendering similar that has a sport stadium in the plan, and I thing this rendering is the second proposal for the area.

That’s just a city study. This is the actual proposed development… City Gateway | SfL+a Architects

3 Likes

High chance? The building they proposed was revolutionary for this area.

Energy positive building

Here’s a parking deck they did:

1 Like

Any details on your comment? This is sad news if true.

Personally hate this plan. Some time at a later date the university should relinquish their property just south of DECPA and the DECPA should be pushed as far south as possible and the courtyard turned into a European-style plaza.

If Brewgaloo is any indicator, Downtown Raleigh lacks a huge, desirable outdoor area to host venues/events that isn’t a park.

5 Likes

Hmmmm. I’m with the ‘moar towers’ crowd, but I have to agree that a large plaza right in downtown would be more unique then just more buildings. I’m warming up to this idea!

2 Likes

Why did you say it “bit the dust”?

Tear down the PAC and rebuild 100 feet away??? Why not just turn the block between Lenoir and South into the plaza?

1 Like

But if it’s on the edge of downtown it will be mostly used for pigeon dung and begging

2 Likes

That area is slated to be sold and turned into buildings. By the time DECPA needs renovations that space won’t be available.

I’m not a fan of the current DECPA so I don’t mind fantasizing about replacing it. The current roof looks like it belongs on a green prefab metal barn. Yuck.

download

images

^
DECPA inspirations.

I might be biased as I’ve toured many, many world-class Opera Houses and PACs around the world.

I agree that whole area is ugly and outdated.

This project definitely has not bitten any dust. Developer/architect is still pushing hard, just had a lot of obstacles to overcome.

7 Likes