NCAE "block" - Salisbury Square

One reason they haven’t broken ground is they were in talks to possibly sell it before starting.

2 Likes

A big and enclosed square like @Francisco posted would be a fantastic addition to downtown. Location will mean a lot, as will what goes up around it.

I like that idea but, would anyone really go there? I don’t think it would attract any younger citizens unless it is a strip mall.

I’m probably the youngest person on this forum. But I’m kind of unusual; Between my love of Fine art, as well as Classic Literature, and being a connoisseur of beverages I am not legally allowed to drink, I would suggest my tastes are…anomalous. I think that it would be stunning to have any slightly dense construction on that end of town.

3 Likes

Young person (23; at the borderline between millenials and gen Z), here.

What on earth are you talking about?

Strip malls are where you’d go (or I’d have gone in middle/high school) if you lived in the endless, white, repetitive labyrinth of the suburbs, and you were desperate for some semblance of a space where you could walk around in a vaguely familiar place, see some slightly new things, and socialize in an ever-so-free space while being treated somewhat like adults.

If we had better options, we’d be there instead. I know I would have -and still would. If you see kids hanging out in malls or small storefronts in the US, that’s definitely not by choice, but for a lack of alternatives. Like… you tell me: if you were 16 today and you didn’t want to feel the pressure of standardized tests and resume-building down your throat and be social outside of school grounds without being pressured to do anything in particular because of social expectations, where else would you go?

(Plus, if you go anywhere outside of America -take France, for example- you’d see tons of kids and teenagers hanging out in parks and historic squares throughout downtown, well past midnight. If you enable it physically and socially, there’s definitely latent demand for it; it’s not like kids are stuck inside playing Fortnite because that’s their only interests)

9 Likes

I feel like this is just because strip malls allow people to act thuggish, and even the good ones allow people to act wild, annoying others, as where in public square people can act wild and not annoy people, while still being safe due to the more prevalent policing.

OFC not! Kids can be, and some are, cultivated to have all kinds of awesome interestests if people would devote time, and a minimal amount of money.

We could definitely use MANY MORE spaces as they have in Boston and New York, where people can hang out in a safe, well-policed area, that quiets down later in the evening while still remaining open, but this requires policing and public activity in these areas.

That is why we have a curfew here

I do live in the, extremely boring and blasé, suburbs, And I often see youths hanging out at strip malls, I, however, would not participate in that activity because I feel that “Hanging out on street corners” Really promotes crime, and that there are more mentally stimulating activities people could be part of.

1 Like

I’m 14 so maybe I’m the youngest person on this forum?

5 Likes

Yes, you are younger than me!

2 Likes

When I was 16, I only went as far as my 2 feet or 2 wheels would take me in accordance with where my parents would allow me to go. Basically, that meant that I didn’t go many places other than to school or the McDonald’s were they forced me to get a job. I couldn’t wait to get to college where the whole World (or at least it seemed that way at the time) opened for me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m sure some would love the spot but not the amount needed to keep the area vibrant and running for decades. Personally, I feel like Dix and places alike are great areas for that. Putting a square there would simply be a waste of land. It would probably be as vacant as the downtown mall that was demolished and north hills before its renovation and remodeling within 5 years.

3 Likes

Just for clarification: A small portion of Dix would be the perfect place to put a larger plaza like that.

1 Like

Yes this was, the other was one with a Stadium to it. This was some time ago which is why I posted it,

I’m 12 so I might be the youngest person on the forum

5 Likes

Alterations to the street plan proposed for this project… [by the way, there’s no “note” corresponding to the circle]

2 Likes

I guess that Kindley Street connection to MLK is sort of “grid like.” Dead ends like that have no place in a good urban grid, I think.

6 Likes

Wait, did I miss something? Is this project moving forward with construction now? Only saw the street changes proposed in the feed and no further details on building construction. Scanned the feed but didn’t see anything (may have missed it!)

2 Likes

Street changes would be a sign something is happening.

1 Like

New poster to the forum. That end of town will have some nice projects. NCAE site is in design development for (2) 20 story towers

15 Likes

Hey and welcome! You are talking about the City Gateway/Exploris project? Is this one moving again?

NCAE site would be the site next to what was announced for Gateway / Exploris project, so these towers would be different from that project?