NCAE "block" - Salisbury Square

Let’s put all chatter on this “block” here. I’m referring to basically anything that touches Kindley Street.

8 Likes

I’ve always thought that the Gateway project was just the west side of the rr tracks on Kindley. There’s certainly even a greater opportunity for redevelopment on the east side of the tracks. Those existing properties are totally suburban in nature now with small buildings sitting on lush grounds with surface lot parking.

9 Likes

Or something that spanned the tracks!!

2 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

I think the big story here is that this “block” is 15 freaking acres!!! That’s amazing.

1 Like

Any talk of sports going here is just talk so it belongs in this thread. Let’s keep this thread on topic of the area and any potential development. (outside of sports)

4 Likes

Decent idea. Problem is that there may have to be a widening of the cut for the NCRR if they go forward with the double-track proposal for GoTriangle Rail.

2 Likes

Trying to go over the tracks might prove to be an exercise in futility. If we could convince the railroad to actually align to the idea of a “tunnel” through this property, it would be terrific. Alas…sigh.

1 Like

Yes, City Gateway/Exploris project was west of the tracks, but that project in its previously marketed form is officially dead. Team is back to the drawing board.

4 Likes

Maybe move the talk about potential project at NCAE site to this topic?

Street Address: 700 S Salisbury St
Current Zoning: DX-20-UG
4.9 Acres

Insider project info from @Teamsguy3:

6 Likes

@Teamsguy3 do you know if the towers were designed after the height restriction removal? What I am mainly asking is: will these towers be capped at 250 ft, or are they given room to breathe? Regardless, they will visibly extend the skyline further south.

9 Likes

I wonder if this will interfere with Salisbury street realignment possibilities. Performing Arts Center needs room to grow!

Welp. There goes my free parking on Symphony nights…

Looking at the aerial, it’s doubtful that this project would prevent the performing arts center from expanding to the rear. The road alignment required to do so would most affect the property to the south of Kindley.

1 Like

With towers on this parcel, and in the foreground of the money shot, it will drag the skyline to the right. It will also give any future towers in front of the performing arts center some visual anchors as they will visually rise behind these new towers.

10 Likes

I always thought this would be a good spot to relocate the amphitheater when it has to move.

5 Likes

Agreed. It’s too small for a regular sized professional sports stadium. But wouldn’t a replacement venue go well here…and add access to Union station via viaduct of some sort…? :upside_down_face:

I always wondered why they wouldn’t just consider putting an amphitheater on the roof of the expanded convention center at its current location.

3 Likes

I imagine there would be a lot of issues with such a thing. Some being the increased noise spilling over into nearby neighborhoods and maybe safety concerns of putting 5000 people on a roof in the event of an emergency. They end up having to clear that place at least a couple of times a season due to lightning how can you do that quickly in an elevated scenario ?

I figured there are logistical problems with it. However, I can’t imagine the noise spillage issues would be any worse than they already are. Ingress and egress logistics similar to a small stadium. I’m going to be a little sad if our only replacement for the current amphitheater is in Dix Park.

1 Like