NCSU Developments

Yeah I think the Standard/Stanhope/Aloft style is what Raleigh needs to go for with the Hillsborough corridor. Especially since university-adjacent projects are some of the most recession-proof things you can build.

1 Like

Stanhope, Standard, and Aloft are all good.

2304 and 2604 Hillsborough, and 109 Friendly, also get a solid thumbs up from me because of how seamlessly they blend in with the urban landscape.

All the above get a grade somewhere in the A-B range.

2811 and 1301 Hillsborough get a C. So does “Signature 1505”.

The later stuff on Ashe and Park behind 1301 gets a D. Pass, but barely.

Uncommon gets an F. It sort of tries, by having ground floor retail space, so it’s a high F, but it’s not enough to make the grade. The Motel 6 at 3402, gets a zero. Resubmit, see me after class.

6 Likes

Brownstone Inn could become brownstone apartments; its new owner is “CSRE, a real estate investment and management company focused on multifamily properties on the East Coast. The company says its portfolio includes more than 3,500 units.”

1 Like

Absent significant structural issues, I would guess they’ll keep the hotel, or the tower portion anyway, move the parking into a deck, and build apartments on the rest of the lot. What they could do with it will depend on whether they decide to keep the two-story meeting space at the front of the lot or not.

Here is a similar such proposal for Asheville. A 51 year old hotel will be remodeled, reconfigured, and much of its parking lot built over with a 10 story residential building.

https://prc-buncombe.spatialest.com/#/property/964941682900000

12 Likes

Oh man!! That Four Points has been begging for this for years…!

1 Like

Here is my example site plan for this hotel. The northern part along Hillsborough, and the southern half along Flint, could be done at the same time, or as separate phases. Could fit 500+ units here pretty readily…

4 Likes

A hotel to micro-apartment conversion works quite nicely.
Also luckily, the hotel tower isn’t smack-dab in the middle of the site; there’s ample land all around it. The area along Flint Place is exactly the right size for a donut-wrapped garage (as seen at Signature 1505 just east).

2 Likes

I’ve always felt this area could tap more into eSports and looks like the legislature is taking note. Doesn’t say exactly where the arena would be on campus. My guess would be on Centennial Campus as there has to be more room out there?

9 Likes

Thanks I hate it
Characters

1 Like

Cool, thanks for your opinion. However I think this could be a good move in the long term for NC State/Raleigh as this could bring in a lot of revenue.

Kind of hard to argue with these numbers here.

6 Likes

I am not much of a gamer, but I absolutely agree that esports is going to get bigger and bigger. Glad to see NC State getting in on the action.

Epic and Cary/wake county should also partner up for something in this area.

8 Likes

@ahops0428 I agree with you both but DAMN I hate the term “eSports” :rofl:

3 Likes

I think it’s something that naturally makes sense for the Triangle, should bring money and tourism in, matches the things NC State is good at, totally seems like a good move.

I do tend to find eSports incomprehensible, and I’ve watched a few Let’s Plays and speedruns in my time. It’s like hockey’s “it’s too hard to see the puck on TV” problem ratcheted up to 11 - there’s so much going on and it’s so hard to get a sense of what everyone is doing and how it relates to the broader arena and goal.

2 Likes

Agreed, seems like it is a natural fit in an area like Raleigh. Raleigh is a growing city and I feel eSports is a growing thing too. Seems like it would be mutually beneficial to both, especially as this area is home to Fortnite.

I’ve personally never understood the appeal of watching other people play video games. I’m not much of a gamer anymore, when I did play I mostly stuck to sports games (FIFA, Madden, NCAA Football, etc.). That just sounds like absolute mayhem but apparently people are watching it. That Goldman Sachs article I linked above showed the amount of time people spend watching this stuff and it’s kinda crazy.

4 Likes

E-sports might be the #2 dumbest thing on the planet next to NFTs.

3 Likes

So I’m not really sure all what it entails to build an esport arena, but $12MM is really not a whole lot…

2 Likes

For what it’s worth of a few seconds of googling it looks like it’s possible? Some school I’ve never heard of built one for $6 million and the Philadelphia professional one near the Eagles/76ers/Phillies stadium cost $50 million?

1 Like

Ok the $6MM one seems reasonable. I honestly had no clue what one of these even looked like but $12MM will go in a hurry these days in construction!!

For $12 million I’m assuming they are going to renovate an existing building.

1 Like

I can’t imagine which one though… I actually work in facilities at NCSU and I’m not sure this facility was on anyone’s radar until money just showed up for it hahaha. Time will tell!

2 Likes