NCSU Developments

Not sure where else to put this, but it’s college-related, so . . .

NCSU plans to begin construction on a new Plant Sciences building at Centennial Campus in May, with a groundbreaking ceremony on 6 Sept. (that timing sounds odd?)

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article228179169.html

4 Likes

You can always start a new thread!

2 Likes

That is a hell of an investment. But today’s college kids expect to live like kings, and with the demographic in their favor, they are getting it. This is a double whammy for HBCUs, struggling already with the end of segregation, the shrinking college-population is going to strike them hard, as it will many small liberal arts colleges. Seems to me St Paul’s in Virginia closed in 2017-18, and Norfolk State came very close to closing. Indeed, Eliz. City St could have gone under, but this discount tuition plan seems to be working.
There is much to be said for an HBCU, and indeed all women’s colleges, but there the market has shrunk and is going to get smaller - much smaller starting in '27 - and unfortunately there are a goodly number of schools that are going to make it.

1 Like

In college I started following NC State developments and then “graduated” to following all of Raleigh development. Once this plant science building breaks ground, NC State will have over $300 million worth of buildings under construction.

Also on centennial campus is the Fitts-Woolard Hall (which I think is ugly) that will house Industrial and Civil Engineering.

On main campus they are renovating and expanding Carmichael Gym.

6 Likes

Carmichael Gym is enormous already. How much bigger can it get? It’s one of the things that I miss the most about not being a student there anymore.

1 Like

I use Carmichael ~3 times a week and it’s almost always crowded. I think the new gym is set to open in the Fall of 2020.

2 Likes

I was going to Carmichael before construction started, and it was always pretty busy (except during summer) and could definitely use more space. I can’t imagine what it has been like during construction. I’m looking forward to going back once the new facilities are open.

Alumni can buy memberships to use Carmichael if you fit into that category: Non-Student Membership

1 Like

Always amazes me that someone can write a whole article on the design of a new building with not even a single mention of the architect/design team.

4 Likes

If you don’t regularly follow architecture or urban design, though, is it really even that surprising?

Until I started reading about these things, I thought universities do everything (design, environmental studies, construction etc.) all under one roof -which is obviously not how it works in real life.

Yup, this is pretty typical, but no less frustrating that people who’ve often spent years of their life creating the design seldom get credit. Also interesting that the contractor and developer are usually mentioned by name.

By the way, is stuff like this fair game for this forum? Thought it was strictly for downtown.

2 Likes

Get used to it. This is unfortunately how it goes. Just look at Midtown/North Hills. You only hear about Kane this and Kane that. Unfortunately, architecture is one of the most thankless professions in the United States.

5 Likes

Like I said, it’s not a surprise… I see it all the time. Still worth pointing out, because I think it says a lot about how we understand/approach development over here. It’s not about being “thanked.”

When design is not spoken about, it’s not valued or seen as a priority. It’s about recognizing all the pieces of the puzzle.

2 Likes

Ha! Writing from a contractor’s perspective here, we often feel that the developer and brokerage firm/agent get all the glory while the blood sweat and tears of the contractor go unrecognized!

6 Likes

Don’t even get me started on how disproportionately brokers are compensated/rewarded for projects. Just look who’s driving the nicest car, wearing the nicest clothes, and living in the most expensive houses!

2 Likes

https://amp.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article234476382.html
Renovations are coming to the iconic Bell Tower!

8 Likes

Finally getting some bells.

A bell tower with real bells. Imagine that.

4 Likes

Its amazing how many do not have real bells! Super pleased they are coming to the NCSU Memorial tower.

2 Likes

It’s like having a car with real engine sound instead of manufactured sound.

2 Likes

I want an electric car that sounds like the Jeston’s.

4 Likes

I LOVE that idea! :loud_sound:

1 Like