New Raleigh Skatepark

This is a huge win for the city and hopefully can evolve into more permanent parks ITB. There’s so many DIY spots, but only one true skatepark in the city (RIP Project 58). Also, as a skater I love the simplicity. Skateboarding is about creativity just as much as it’s about sport, so the wide open runways and pretty toned down obstacles are going to be pretty popular, especially as a warmup before skaters hit the rest of downtown.

2 Likes

Yea we really miss Project 58, one of my good friends growing up was the manager of Vertical Urge so we would skate there for hours after they closed, Dave Chappell even rented it out one evening while he was in town doing standup.

Not sure how young you are, but Ryan’s world was the original OG skatepark in the 90s near the airport. That was a good time when skateboarding really started hitting main stream with the Xgames and Tony Hawk video games. It was crazy cheap too, something like $2 for members.

I’m hoping this free and easy entry park can spark more kids to get outside and off Tik Tok.

1 Like

A little too young for Ryan’s World, but have heard plenty of good things about it. I’ve heard Above Board in Greensboro has Project 58’s pool and some of their other obstacles from when they closed down.

2 Likes

The majority of the skateboard community is not happy about this “skatepark”. This park supposedly cost $300k, and they hired Wynn site development, a company specializing in pouring home foundations to build it. For reference, the skatepark in Apex cost $500k and was built by one of the most recognized skatepark builders in the world in Team Pain. Moreover, the park in question is temporary, and it seems unlikely that Raleigh will include an actual skatepark in their master plan, considering they scrapped the one at Chavis Park after the COVID-19 pandemic.

2 Likes

mid afternoon I walked from a meeting on Fayetteville to home in Glenwood South. From what I saw, the skaters are cruising the streets and not this new park.

I’ve definitely heard and seen some people’s frustration with the park and Sk8Raleigh. TBH, most of the fundraising done by Sk8Raleigh was pretty… interesting. Never went to any of their events, and they seemed to be catered to non-skaters and business people than for the actual skate community. Oh well, at least I can bike over to this park easier than to Marsh Creek.

1 Like

I wanted to go out and get photos of skaters at the new park. Anyone have a good sense of when it’s on the busier side? Maybe not these days with this heat but I bet there’s a time when skaters are out there.

I drive past it everyday and it always has people out there skating even in the heat. I continue emphasize it is a home run for the city to put a more permanent and better version of this skate park in the new park.

13 Likes

I have driven by many times in the afternoon and there are about 20 kids out there skating.

2 Likes

Weekend evenings are probably your best bet. But anytime on the weekend there will always be a decent handful.

2 Likes

A crew is out there today constructing the wooden ramps portion.

9 Likes

Wonder if the city of Raleigh is going to take notice of this? Holly Springs has a big parks bond citizens will get to vote on in November. The big piece of the bond will go towards a new 56 acre park built across from Holly Springs High School. Included in the park master plan is a big new skatepark and of course pickleball courts too :rofl:

11 Likes